My honest review of the Stihl ms271

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PC, with all the stink about EPA regulations and all I was wondering how lean this saw is set from the factory Does it 4 stroke on the high side when not buried, or does it race like no tomorrow? The adjustments are on the rich side of lean to begin with.Follow what I am saying? Thanks Ken

PC, with all the stink about EPA regulations and all I was wondering how lean this saw is set from the factory Does it 4 stroke on the high side when not buried, or does it race like no tomorrow? The adjustments are on the rich side of lean to begin with.Follow what I am saying? Thanks Ken
I have not held it wide open out of a cut. It does sound good tho, to me. Im not touching anything because i have a 2 yr warranty.

Earlier i posted about needing a "homeowner" saw. I needed to trim trees and cut about a cord a wood a year to heat the house every once in a while.

Anyways i got some tax money back unexpectedly last week and decided i would buy my first New Stihl chainsaw.

I went to the dealer and i was set on the ms261 even at its $620 price tag i was willing to pay, because we all want the latest and greatest right? So the salesman and i talked told him what i needed it for and he told me there is no reason to buy this ms261, ya its great but you could save some money and buy extra chains, chaps, axe, etc.

He pointed me towards the ms271 i grabbed it, felt great. Just a wee bit heavier feeling then the ms261 but definitely not a big deal. He said with 18" b&c, 6 pack stihl mix, chain lube, and a hat i could have it for $450 otd. I bought it and ever since ive been extremely impressed.

On to the saw, i cut almost a cord of wood with it and love every minute of it. The antivibe is awesome and it has great power in the hardwood as well. That sideways balance crap is good to, i think the 18" is perfect on this saw. Its easy to start 2-3 pulls after its been sitting and 1 when its warm. The throttle response is great, you hit the trigger it goes no bogging or anything. Obviously thats on the mechanics part for tuning it, but still impressive. The only thing i do not like is the top cover screws. You actually have to screw them in, i wish the could be a half turn or something like the flippy caps.

This saw is more then ill ever need, sure its not a "professional saw" but its a damn good saw. It cuts wood very well and pretty quick for the average joe. At $450 i dont see where you could go wrong for a quality saw.

Heres a few pics
8c0186bee4e5ca0c4b0eda8bb62b7e97.jpg

08d03966aa971a1cab0c2e175e24ac46.jpg
side cover is plastic, which I was kinda disappointed but o well.
db92da95eee56a9bc28ea94c8cea2c2e.jpg

ceed8d9d868d727fcf5ee0c9e2344b55.jpg
you can put a hd filter on it if needed.
f24f9ce249087baf7579056cdb3b6830.jpg

03a6fd3bc2b25d027bcc04fc16e3047a.jpg

4d69150ccb4cb2ac19db1b3d1aaacf90.jpg
Hi PLMCRZY, does the 271 have problems? I've read similar things on other forums and I'm curious about the answer.

Hi PLMCRZY, does the 271 have problems? I've read similar things on other forums and I'm curious about the answer.
They are OK but when ridden hard you can loose the seals/bearings/intake. Then it will run lean. No aftermarket cylinder options for a ms271/ms291 so the OEM cylinder is $300 ish by itself. Not cost efficient to rebuild.

Latest posts

Back