My straight gassed Stihl MS250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received a clutch cover from hutzl for a rebuilt 250. Other than no Stihl logo on the cover, I think the quality is good and the fit is fine. For 6 bucks I can wait a couple weeks for a non critical part. I am not much on the Chinese piston cyl kits. I have not had good luck with them. I cleaned the cyl on my 250 using a foredom grinder and emery cloth. Took less than 10 minutes. Put a meteor piston in it ,new seals and bearings. Turned out to be a good runner but it's headed for eBay. Too much overlap with my 026s.

I just received a clutch cover from hutzl for a rebuilt 250. Other than no Stihl logo on the cover, I think the quality is good and the fit is fine. For 6 bucks I can wait a couple weeks for a non critical part. I am not much on the Chinese piston cyl kits. I have not had good luck with them. I cleaned the cyl on my 250 using a foredom grinder and emery cloth. Took less than 10 minutes. Put a meteor piston in it ,new seals and bearings. Turned out to be a good runner but it's headed for eBay. Too much overlap with my 026s.
Yes, there is/was too much overlap with an 026. Regardless, the Stihl 026 PRO is a better saw. All you have to do today is compare the price of an MS250 with an MS260 or MS261. I must admit that I did sell a Stihl 025 that was running Picco chain with a 16" bar. Believe me, I wished that had kept it.

This saw passed the "starter rope" drop test for compression and it also felt normal when pulling the starter rope. It did the usual "whump whump whump" so nothing like a peek inside when buying a saw.
The seller had informed me it had been straight gassed so I expected to find what I found. I ordered the parts from Huztl to put it back together. I'm not even going to try to save the cylinder even though it may clean up. for <$40 in parts I'm getting everything I'll need to reassemble. Didn't find any other issues during disassembly other than the usual grime.
The pics of the saw are "as received".
Did you see their complete engines for $32.95?

Huztl will be on a long slow boat from China.
Around two weeks to Indiana with several days of it in Chicago. It takes the same amount of time from China to Chicago as from Chicago to Southern Indiana. I've got some parts I ordered awhile back that have been in Chicago since before Christmas Eve.

Around two weeks to Indiana with several days of it in Chicago. It takes the same amount of time from China to Chicago as from Chicago to Southern Indiana. I've got some parts I ordered awhile back that have been in Chicago since before Christmas Eve.
We make mistakes in the "local" USA shipments also. I watched a part from Florida take two weeks to make it to Nebraska. A part I ordered the same day from China beat it to my doorstep by four days.

The USPS lady said, "I guess we got confused when we shipped it out of Omaha and then back to Maryland and then to Orlando. Somebody goofed."

I sometimes receive 4 to 6 items on the same day that were ordered from Asia over a two week period. They go to Chicago because that is where the customs stuff happens. I just buy stuff well ahead of time (usually just for "stock") and when it arrives, it arrives. I don't track it or worry about it. It'll show up eventually. Just got in a piston and waiting on some guitar pics, auto fuses, another piston and an egg whisk. I have bids in on some other items that will probably get outbid but maybe not...

Latest posts

Back