Need a companion saw for my 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberwolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Curently using a stihl 066 fire wood with a cheepo poulan for the limbing and small stuff. I will likely need to replace the little 34cc poulan soon as it is already way pasts it's lfe expectancy (though it still runs surprisingly well).

So I am looking for a light weight saw to work with the 066, probably a 16 inch bar and I would like to have the option of running the same 20 inch bar and standard 3/8 chain as the 066.
Also will use the saw for the odd jobs required while the 066 is being used for milling. Also have an 039 on the farm (not my saw) that I can use in a pinch if ever the 066 was just too big or the smaller saw too small.

There are a couple of good stihl dealers in the area but little for Husky and others. I am happy with the stihl product and can get good pricing so I plan to stay with stihl.

Is the 026 a good companion for the 066? Any experiences with it both on a 16 inch bar and a 20 inch with standard 3/8 chain?

Thanks
Timberwolf

An 026 would be my first choice, but it could have a hard time swinging 3/8" on a 20" bar. 16" sounds about right for that saw. Maybe find a used 028 or 034 if you really want a 20"?

Get an 036 for 3/8" and 20" bar. The 026 really sings with .325.

The husqvarna equivalent would be a 346XP or 357XP, if you want to try the "other side"

Get the 026 without a doubt.....I have one with a 16" bar....and run a 3/8" round chisel chain (RS).....cuts like a champ...it had the .325 set up...but I changed to a 3/8" so i could swap out with my 044. The 026 seemed to cut just as fast with either chain....the only modification to the saw was that I opened up the muffler a little bit.

Most common setup for the 026 is 18" or 20" bar. I've run them both ways, very little difference in power.

026 can be an excellent saw, with muffler work to undo the EPA de-tuning. :mad:

Stihls and Huskys cannot be trusted to play nice together. I would get the 066 a nice 036 to sleep with.

If you got, say a 357 Husky, you would like it so well you would get your saw loyalties all confused; then there would be added cost for counciling, trauma over wanting to get rid of the 066 and who knows what other complications.

You probably heard the old saying, "Its hard to keep the boy on the farm once he has seen the lights of the city". Don't complicate your life, stay with Stihl.

My 026 loves .325 on an 18" bar. The expense of having two different pitch set-ups is marginal. Go for the 026 with .325 you'll be happy.

Originally posted by jim40
Get the 026 without a doubt.....I have one with a 16" bar....and run a 3/8" round chisel chain (RS).....cuts like a champ...it had the .325 set up...but I changed to a 3/8" so i could swap out with my 044.

And just how often do you put the 16" on your 044? Not being sarcastic, I just don't see the point. Why would you? If the wood is less than 18"-20", the 026 will cut it perfectly with a sharp chain. Any bigger, I grab the bigger saw with the bigger bar on it. The couple seconds saved per cut would be lost in the time it takes to swap them out.

You could also sharpen the chain quicker than swapping bars and using more power with a half-sharp chain.

Originally posted by Tony Snyder
Stihls and Huskys cannot be trusted to play nice together. I would get the 066 a nice 036 to sleep with.

If you got, say a 357 Husky, you would like it so well you would get your saw loyalties all confused; then there would be added cost for counciling, trauma over wanting to get rid of the 066 and who knows what other complications.

You probably heard the old saying, "Its hard to keep the boy on the farm once he has seen the lights of the city". Don't complicate your life, stay with Stihl.

Youre probably right. After all Gypo logger was nothing but Stihl until one day John Walker got him to try a new saw called the 372XP and had it Walkerized, and the rest is history...

need a companion saw for my 66

Mines companion is the 46mag i think you would like the extra power than those small Stihls after packing a 66.

Treeclimber....i'm just saying with the 3/8 set-up....I can use whatever bar and chain i've got....on either saw...if I need a spare....theres always one available....you're right....the 16" doesnt see the 044 much....but if need be....it will work....thanks for your concern.

Interesting ideas, I do want to stay with Stihl though, though there may be good thing to be had with Husky. Simplly it boils down to availability of parts and service. 3 or 4 good stihl shops within a half hour drive and several more shops in the city, but with Husky it would be a 2 hour return trip to the city. Also the advantage of swapable parts bars, chains ect.

Im not sure that I would want to go as large as an 036 or 44, I just don't think I would make use of the extra power, as any jubs requiring that would be done by the 066. Also have access to an 039 should the need arrise.

Now if the 026 is possabibly a bit low in power (stock) to run a 20 inch bar with standard 3/8 chain, Is the .325 chain .50 gauge and usable on the same bar as the 066 or is it too much hastle to change sprockets and roller tips? What about 20 inch 3/8 low profile on the 026, that way the same bar and sprocket could be used? Then this leads me to ask how the low profile 3/8 chain would be on the 066?

I guess the botom line is that I would like to maximize flexibility and compatability of components between the two saws.

Thanks for the info

Timberwolf

Dont run .325 on the 066, it will probably snap in half.

Here is the answer. Get an 026 and 18" bar with 3/8. Since you are in Ontario I would send the muffler to Dan Henry (dozerdan) in Pennsylvania to have it modified. Then it will run cooler and have plenty of power to swing that 3/8". I guarantee you will be happy with that combo. I personally used a stock 026 with 3/8 and a 20" bar. It struggled a little but with a hot muffler and shorter bar it should sing right along.

Happy cutting

after thought, I would also be happy to run rapid micro chain on the 20 inch bar, this is what is curently on the 039, Is that a good combo for the 026?

Timberwolf

The 039 has rapid micro because it is a piece of crap (no offense)

Stick to all 3/8 and you will be happier trust me. RM sucks

Hi Timberwolf, If I read your initial question correctly, you stated that you would like to have the option to run the 20" bar from the 066, but would normally run a 16"er on the 026. If that is what you mean, then the 026/MS260 is the right choice. I`ve run a few 026s with 3/8s chain , and 16" is about optimal max length on a stock saw. You can run the .325 on the 066 if that is your desire, the chain parts are the same thickness and strength as 3/8s, but you would be giving up alot of potential in everyday use, and it would cost as much to change over everything on it as it would to just buy a backup set for whatever saw in the first place. If you are primarily cutting firewood with the 066 when it is not being used for milling, you might find that you like a 16" bar on it on occassion, it will be a high output machine. So what I`m recommending is 3/8s standard pitch if you must have only one pitch. 3/8s Lo pro is a scourge to mankind and it is not the same pitch as 3/8s standard, .370 vs .375, so although you might be able to get by with the same sprocket nose, the drive sprocket would need to be changed, and I don`t think I`ve ever seen a 3/8s lo pro sprocket for either of these saws(026 + 066). 3/8s lo pro normally is seen on consumer crap, which is Ok as long as you are only a consumer and not really going to run the saw. I think you have already answered your own question, obviously you want a significant weight reduction if you are not going to be using the 066, but since you want to use the same bar your choices are limited. If you would consider running .325 on the small saw, I would say look at the 025, pretty good saw for the money, but it has a funky small mount bar and it definitely will not handle a 20" bar with 3/8s chain. Maybe you are not familiar with all of your options in .325, there are some very good chains available such as the Oregon 3(X)LG, and 2(X)LP since alot of pro saws run .325. There is a better than fair chance that your tired Poulan is running 3/8s lo pro and it may have given you the wrong impression about the smaller chains. BTW, I wouldn`t say that the 039 "is a piece of crap" as Huskyman so eloquently put it, but if you get the urge to run it why not just close your fingers in a car door instead. At least this way you can save your back. LOL Russ

Husky man, I use RM chain when Im cutting firewood because it stays sharper longer than RS. The RM I use is the yellow link chain with out the guardlinks. The guardlink stuff does suck speed wise.

thanks for the good feedback,

True about the 039, I don't notice much diference between it and the 066 while i'm carring them to the bush, but there is one heck of a difference when you get to the bush. I will gladly take a 23% weight penilty for 163% of the horse power and a bunch more torque.

Jokers, you put it well, I would plan on running the 026 90% of the time with a 16 inch bar and it sounds like it should power 3/8 standard chain just fine. I might occasionally put the 20 inch bar from the 066 on it and if it is marginal with standard 3/8 chain, i'd be happy and maybe even through a few bucks into modifying the 026. I just don't know if I can risk entering the world of modified chainsaws, sounds like the begining of the end, highly addictive and habbit forming.

I have to take the 066 in for it's first checkup, so I'l talk to the dealer about an 026.

Putting a 16 inch bar on the 066 must be nothing short of ausome.

As for that cheepo 99$ cdn (new) poulan, I must give credit it has serverd well, the chain and bar that came with it needed to be replaced that took 40$ to get a proper oregon chain and bar (big improvment over the supplied bar and chain. I may change chain from 91vg to vs, I realize this compramises the low kick back rating of the saw. But I am well used to opperating standard saws and chains and am always properly equiped to do so. I even question the use of low kickback chains for someone who on a regular basis uses standard chains and high output equipment, I think that some people develope bad habits as they can often get away with shortcuts and mistakes on low hp saws with safety chain, these same small errors in judgment would have a large saw with an aggressive chain climbing trees and amputating body parts.

Anyway any experiences with oregon 91vs on small saws?

Thanks

Timberwolf

Back