Need Advice for Saw Size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwheat

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My old 044 died over the weekend and isn't worth resuscitating, so I'm looking to replace it. 95% of the cutting I do (firewood and occasional removal) I can handle with an 18" bar. Every so often I come across a big oak or locust that I pull out the 25" bar for.
So I'm thinking for that 95% an 026 would do the trick...but could it handle the 25" for that other 5%?
The alternative is an 036Pro, which I know could handle both, but costs $100 more. I want to stay with Stihl because of what I have invested in bars, and the dealer is right down the road.
Should I go with the 026 or the 036Pro?

I'm gettin' old and fat and slow, and try to stay away from tree work, except the gratis stuff for friends anymore. I still clear lots and rights-of-way when I can make a quick buck at it.

I need, repeat NEED my Jonsered 2149 (3 cu in) 2055 (3.3 cu in hot rod saw), Jons 625 (60 cc, just for fun) Jons 670 (all 'round 4 cu in workhorse) and Jons 2077 (4.7 cu in, just in case I need a big gun), plus a couple of old Homelites, McC's and a few other old reprobates. I'm hoping to add a Husky 385 or 395 to the stable soon.

I NEED them...I keep tellin my wife, I NEED them.

Don't you NEED more than one saw too?

What happened to the 044? Bailey's sells a jug and piston for $99. Unless it's had major catastrophic failure in the seals and crankshaft, it should be worth saving.

If you can keep it going than I'd buy the 026 and use it for 95% of your cutting and then save the 044 for the other 5%.

If you have to have one saw capable of running a 25" bar than the 026 just won't have enough ooomph. If you have to have one new saw than get a new 044 and use your old one as a parts donor saw. (especially if you already have bars and chains)

Or maybe a power tuned 026 could get you close to being able to run a 25" bar.

i'd been planning on the Bailey's jug route, but it looks like the piston sleeve broke loose and also broke a piece off of the arm, so I'd be looking at completely replacing the top end and then tearing apart the case and who knows what i'd find in there. if i had a lot invested in the saw, i might be inclined to do it, but for now i'll either put it away for a future project, or part it out on e-bay.
purchasing a new 044 at this point is beyond my budget, but a big saw might be possible later in the year.
this afternoon i've been looking at a walkerized 026 - a bit pricey but when i do the math with power, weight, and what i'd pay with sales taxes, its looking pretty good. i also called around to some dealers and got prices on some stock saws... interesting how many dealers won't sell just the powerhead.

Buck,

Look at Madsens.com they have prices on Husky power heads and might (if you call) givey you a price on a Stihl. I would say just from the start go with the 036 its a middle of the row. Otherwise look at the 372XP Husky. NO, NO, hear me out, you can buy a small conversion set up for the Husky to run your Stihl bars John Walker would have the very thing made up and ready to ship to you. Just a thought. Anyways have a good one and good luck

The 026 will do most of your work fine. 25 inches is too much for 3 cubes in hardwood. The only thing that will pull that much bar in hardwood and keep doing it consistently is the 044 size or larger. It would be pushing an 036 too. Get the 026, save up some money and keep your eyes open for a good used 044 or 046.
By the way, how was the bottom end of the 044. Bearings tight? Cages intact? Look it over with a fine tooth comb before buying a jug and piston. Cranks are quite bulletproof , but watch the side bearings. Make sure rod has no up and down play (and I mean NONE). Make sure all of cage is intact on rod to crank bearing. If it all looks good, go for it.

If you are used to an 044, you might be disappointed in the 026. HOWEVER, if you want a lighter saw cause the 044 was too much saw for 95% of what you do, the 026 will suit you. I have been cutting 12"-16" wood on several occassions with my 026 side-by-side with an 046. I average about 80% of his speed with 1/2 the saw. This isn't soft maple or pine, but laurel oak and live oak.
I'm running an 18" .325 chisel chain vs a 27" 3/8 on the 046.

Hope this helps. :angel:

Thanks for the advice, guys. As we speak a Walkerized 026 is headed this way via UPS from our friend Woodsjunkie. I figure that is going to give me a nice light weight saw to carry in the woods, but still have the extra horses to pull a bigger bar for those few times I need it.
If it seems I keep getting more calls for bigger trees, I'll probably pick up a used 044, 046, or 066 later this spring. And I haven't ruled out buying another 044 and cobbling together a saw from the parts I have left over.
Thanks again.
George

buckwheat

It's on its way... You should have it the 18th..
Happy cutting ,Keep your chain's sharp.. Don't let it over rev...
Did you get your tracking # i sent you?
Thanks Eric

Hey buckwheat, what size bar/ chain is on that saw?
I dunno how much more power Walkerizing provides over a stock saw with an extra hole in the muffler baffle, but I can tell you that the 026 handles a .325 20" bar easily IF you are as fanatical about sharp chains as I am.
Let us know how the saw works when ya get it, I'd love to hear about it.

its here!!

the walkerized 026 showed up yesterday and I had the chance to put it through some paces this morning. I put a Griffiths and Beerens 25" solid bar with a sprocket tip on it with 3/8" 050 chain that had just been touched up.
'took it out to the wood pile and rolled out a 28" oak log.
Fired it up. the first thing i noticed was just how fast it reached peak revs - touch the trigger and its there. then i started making a cut, keeping the revs high and letting the saw do the work. i didn't notice any change in tone until about the middle of the log when the sprocket was burried - the revs dropped ever so slightly and i sensed the saw was working a bit harder, but only a bit.
continued down through, rolled the log, and finished the cut.
did it again with the same results.
like my daughter says, " this saw rawks". it handles the 25" bar at ease, and the whole setup is four pounds lighter than my old 044. normally, i'll be running a G and B laminate sprocket tip, 18"; so I expect pretty impressive results.
I'd recommend this setup to anyone - Mr. Walker does it right.
btw: if anyone needs some 28"X2" oak slabs for coffee tables, drop on by... they're out back.

George

you buried a TWENTY-FIVE INCH BAR on an 026 and the revs dropped ever so slightly???? WOW!!!! :blob2:
We run 2 046's, one with a 25" and one with a 27". My 026 with an 18" will cut about 80% speed of the 046's. I'm impressed!!!

I run an 026 - I could do with at least another saw for bigger stuff, stumping up, etc., but as I've just started out on my own, I'm short of money. For most of my work I find a 13" bar is fine. I did buy a 18" bar for chunking down bigger sections and if there's bigger wood to be logged up. I know the saw is around 5 yrs old, so probably past it's best, but I was disappointed with how it runs with 18"- you really have to keep the revs up or it just sticks (it might be different now, as I recently had a new piston fitted). I think you need a bit more HP than an 026 can give. An instrustor in the past told me that 15" is the limit for something the size of an 026. In the Stihl catalogue for the UK, the max. recommended bar is 18".

Acer,

As far as a bigger saw, go for either a 038M from canada, or possibly 044/046. Good combination with an 026. look on ebay first though

Last edited:
Back