Need advice on Husqvarna 353 top end rebuild parts.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not_Husky

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all.
I just picked up a Husky 353 for $80 from a real fast talker that has a scored cylinder and no spark, is greasy AF but appears to have low hours. I'll be using it to cut firewood, mostly lodgepole under 20". I have a 440 & 455. The 455 has been gaining weight every year for the past 15 years and it's getting tiring to use. I love bucking up bigger logs with it, but not limbing. I tried putting Ozempic in the fuel mix, but it didn't help. The 440 is a great saw, but the #@&%! EPA carburetor! I have to rebuild or replace it every year.
The 353 should fit me just right.
There are so many parts & sellers & options out there that it's confusing.
Are the inexpensive cylinder & piston kits kits any good?
Do pop up pistons make much difference in performance over stock on this saw to be worth the extra cost?
I'll mod the muffler. But is it worth the effort to port the cylinder?
If you have experience on what just works for the 353, will improve performance over stock & will run & run reliably, please reply. Thanks!

I am in the process of rebuilding a 350 I picked up last month with a scored cylinder. After doing a bunch of research I talked myself into putting a 346xp top end on it. Supposed to be the way to go on these saws ported or not. I will let you know how it turns out when it’s back together. There are a lot of good options even it you just mod the muffler, delete the base gasket, and throw a new piston in it. Porting always helps of course!

Latest posts

Back