Need advise on hot saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsjunkie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok Gentlemen,
I have been playing a bit in the saw racing and really enjoy it .
Now I want to have a full race saw . But I'm not sure what cube class I should be looking at or what model saw.
Builder well either Dennis or KD ?
any advise would be appreciated
Eric

woodsjunkie,
Ken Dunn is the man. He has taught Dennis the ropes. As to the size of the saw, it depends what class you would be entering. Don't even try to compete against 7 c.c. saws with a 5 c.c. or 6 c.c. because it just wont work. You need a comparable saws in each class, as well as racing chains, because they complement each other.
Art Martin

Art
I have been trying all day to get ahold of you ...
e-mail me if you will i need a chain 3/8.050 60 DL
thanks Eric

Hi Eric, Uncle Art is right about Ken Dunn. I have two of his saws with Art Martin chain and placed first in the first race I was in. I have an 088KD stock appearing saw and the pictured below is an all out and out 084 with pipe.
John

Hi There, the 084 is Kens personal saw that he was kind enough to lend to me for the race in Clearwater. He also built me an 088 wood saw that is at least double the HP over stock. It makes the trees piss their roots.
No More Mr. Stock Saw!

Heres my 088 that Ken built, all you can see is the muffler mods. but it is at least 18hp. I can also fit that pipe on there for an additional 40% increase in power and noise.
Now Your Loggin!

Little Leroi Lambert's 088 Stihl

Hello Leroi,
Every post the hp is going up on that 088, by the end of july it'll probably be up to 40-50 horsepower. lol. dont forget uncle art's chain is probably the equivalant of 5-6 horsepower. hey you arborist site guys john won both classes with the stock 088 stihl and the slightly modified 084 stihl. of course he may have less to drink because jon (sawracr) and mike (ruppdoggy) have some really fast saws and they run uncle arts chain so it was close.
hello art, thanks for the plug, arts correct on the saw sizes. if you run a 372 husky(4.3 cubic inches) against a 181husky or a 680 solo and they all have compariable modifications the 5 cube saws will win almost every time.

ken
kdhotsaw

Slightly modified 084, Ken? Now I've heard everything. That's about as humorous as Zip's stock 088, or maybe an Art Martin slightly stock chain. Irregardless of what you guys call them, the competition will know better after the first cut and head for the hills (or the bar).

Hi there, Lil Leroy Lambert here,

I have a Stihl 088KD,
That grows every day in Hp.,
with an uncle Art chain,
And one race to my name,
I will spin many yarns without shame.
L. L. L.
P.s. pictured below is a 72 hp. 084 by [email protected]

Hi Doug,
I agree that slightly modified does sound weird. It's either modified or it isn't. Is that word "Irregardless" slightly modified?
Art Martin

Inflationary Horsepower

Since my 3120 KD was made before your 088 KD, it of course will have higher HP. Since the 084 KD was built before my 3120 KD, the 084 will hiave more HP. Since the Titanic was built before the 084 KD, it will have more HP.

Always remember that HP is directly proportional to time and that women are evil.

Lumber Liquidator

Easy Guys you know what a modest fellow Ken is , he would'nt want any one to think,............. he's the Hot Saw King!....... eh!

You're right about that, sawracr! But it also takes a good chain and someone who knows how to use it. Here is a good example of a winning combination.

Of course, the saavy competitor will always come out on top when he secretly reverses his Art Martin chain to increase efficiency on the up cut.

Hey Doug you going to bring that 3120 to the Clearwater Reunion, next year?

Ah Doug your pictures are the best, that guy in the last two shines like a diamond in a goats ear.

Back