Need help with oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK, I spent an hour and a half Saturday taking apart, cleaning, and reassembling the oiler on the 670 (with a dinner break).

Other than being full of crap in there eveything looked fine. I have a manual and went through everything cleaned with compressed air, and there was no change whatsoever in oil output.

It dribbles out but if I use it like this I will burn up my new bar and chain. With the bar off, the oiler set at "4" and the engine idling nothing comes out. If I bump the throttle oil will start to come out. The gears to me looked fine, I took the screen off in the tank and nothing changed. I rotated the pin that the cam turns on and no change :angry:

I am at a loss, I cant see how a new kit would even help since mine looks fine. My 55 puts out way more oil than the 670, I have gotten occasional sparks off the bar, and I know there was nothing in the wood:angry:

Huskyman
I have a complete pump already packaged for your saw.The package has a complete pump with the drive gear.It also contains a PP372 demonstrator.
Later
Dan

Thanks Dan, I was hoping I could get it repaired so the chain would have oil for the test:D
Any idea when things are going to be ready to ship?

I have run onto this problem before. The 670 uses a gear on a shaft. The gear drives the shaft to "pump" the oil. A very small screw holds the gear solid on the shaft. If the screw backs off a small amount the gear turns but the shaft doesn't. Tighten that small screw! Mike

I find that to be wrong with all saw's if there is a problem it always tends to be a small screw :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Good advice Mike.

Later Rob....

Thanks Mike I took the screw out when I disassembled it, and put it back in as tight as I could get it without stripping the notch. Still hardly any oil:(

How about the gear itself? It looked okay but does it only take a little bit a wear to lose effectiveness? The thread that goes on the crankshaft looks like it was plastic:confused: Maybe my untrained eye missed something

OK let's try something else. I have not seen a problem with slightly worn gears. As long as they mesh and turn each other they will deliver oil. Now the drive gear only turns if the clutch is spinning, right? I think that model has knotches in the clutch that drive the gear. If the plastic notches get mis-aligned one time and you tighten down on the clutch nut (clutch), it can mash the lugs down and you will not be able to turn the drive gear except be some friction. That might explain the low, intermittent oil. Check that drive gear for engagement of the drive lugs. If that is not it, tell us so we can guess some more. I have better luck fixing stuff when I can hold it in my hands and see it. Mike

Thats a good thought. There's not really any way I can tell if its that except put it together without the plate? :confused:
Once I take it apart I will be able to turn it no matter what right

Usually on that plastic oiler gear you can see if one of the threads is hooped...Mike is very right about that d@mn little screw...288's were very succeptable to that as well...the only other thing that I can think of and its pretty rare...is the inside of that pump/shaft wears some...and instead of pumping oil it finds air....my dad and i fought over this for a long time till I believed him and changed the complete pump...then it worked...

Your best bet is try a new(another) oiler...if it solves the problem..look back into the other one...you know where to look now...I do that very same thing with carbs...if i am having problems after looking at the obvious...i just quickly try a new one...if the problem is solved, then we know where to start looking...Granted i have the option of the new/used working parts sitting in boxes...

Mike..you mean the clutch drum has the four notches i am thinking....just trying to clarify what you said, as I agree...and have been culprit to that very same mistake....

Yes Dennis, the drum has notches and the plastic gear has notches. If they are not meshed when it is assembled the damage can result to the plastic. It will run awhile but eventually the lugs will wear smooth and the gear will not turn. I hope that this is the model I am thinking about. At my age I could be wrong and that's for sure.
One other thought occures to me about this system. When the pump is bolted onto the saw you must line up the rubber oil pick-up tube with a corresponding bump on the pump body. If the rubber is old and hard or has shrunk it may only pump air. You can also check the small o-ring where the pump delivers oil to the bar line. If this is missing most of the pumped oil will be behind the pump and run down the saw and make a mess. Not a good way to oil the bar! Mike

Nope the oil line was lined up and the rubber was nice and soft. Pretty good memory for an old guy:D

I think you might be on to something with the lugs, but it will be a few days before I can get it apart. Thanks for the replies guys

Back