• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Needed, Good saws or easily fixable larger CC chainsaws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how well the 357 is built but on an 034 super when it was the only saw I had I put an 24-25 3/8 pitch inch bar on it to cut an large white oak tree that yielded about 3 full cords of 16 inch firewood and it didn't hurt it a bit. Didn't continue using it long after cause it was a bit underpowered in large wood which concerned me mostly when falling large trees. At work was running short on 20 inch bars and I put an 24 inch 3/8 solid nose bar on another 034 super and cut mostly Black and pin oak trees into firewood in the 20 inch diameter range , some larger. No problems. Under 20 inches it ate it up at a comfortable pace. (White oak is harder)
For what reason wouldn't a 357 work decently with 24 inch?

I don't know how well the 357 is built but on an 034 super when it was the only saw I had I put an 24-25 3/8 pitch inch bar on it to cut an large white oak tree that yielded about 3 full cords of 16 inch firewood and it didn't hurt it a bit. Didn't continue using it long after cause it was a bit underpowered in large wood which concerned me mostly when falling large trees. At work was running short on 20 inch bars and I put an 24 inch 3/8 solid nose bar on another 034 super and cut mostly Black and pin oak trees into firewood in the 20 inch diameter range , some larger. No problems. Under 20 inches it ate it up at a comfortable pace. (White oak is harder)
For what reason wouldn't a 357 work decently with 24 inch?
Comparing a 034 super to a 357 isn't apples to apples. 61 vs 56cc for starters. Your other observation is admittedly flawed, you're cutting 16-20" wood, then go on to say it's not great above 20". the 357 like to kept in higher rpm for optimal performance, id even go as far to say they arnt a saw that has great torque in mid and lower rpm range. I am a big fan of them, as they are very dependable saws, but running that 24" bar without a good operator will kill it in short order.

a hybrid building would be a better option power wise. Just thinking practicality for your situation. Don't need a good saw over loaded/abused, since it's going to be loaned out. I sincerely wish you the best of luck with your circumstances.
I found a 18” bar and chain for the 357 but I’m happy to have the 24” that David gave me. I know that it will be put to use in one way or another especially at these times.

In emergency situations people use what they can get their hands on to get the job done, these folksare not looking to run saws every day doing production work. I'd suggest a couple 2 in 1 files, even the cheap generic ones to keep the chains somewhat sharpish on the loaned ones because thats the most likely reason for failure by the inexperienced.

Wht are you still needing?

I thought about a cheap harbor freight grinder to keep the chains reasonably sharp in short order.
Folks not accustomed to using saws tend to hit the ground a lot, I'd imagine.
Don't know if they have a power source for the grinder though.

Back