New saw (possibly) 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dude JD, what is the magic of the original cylinder? Is it better literally because its assembled by husqvarna or is there more to it?
Thanks!

The configuration and finish of the ports, the cylinder plating, piston/rings, and casting itself are far better.

If seller has the original cylinder have a look at it. It might be able to be cleaned up and fitted with an OEM piston.

I'll second concerns of why the AM P/C in the first place and how were repairs done? Where other AM parts used and did it get a pres/vac test.

The configuration and finish of the ports, the cylinder plating, piston/rings, and casting itself are far better.

If seller has the original cylinder have a look at it. It might be able to be cleaned up and fitted with an OEM piston.

I'll second concerns of why the AM P/C in the first place and how were repairs done? Where other AM parts used and did it get a pres/vac test.
So the oem is the business, stands to reason really,
Ima query that with him tomorrow, ill see if he has it and will either let me seee it or part with it,
And also the why it was changed in the first place,
With any luck ill be able to post up here tomorrow with a good story and better saw, luckily I have the power of walk away when you know its a bust

For all that commented, thank you for your help, Wish me luck tomorrow!

The oem top end (made by Mahle) on these particular saws is particularly well tuned, something that all the aftermarket replacements fail to replicate. An aftermarket cylinder won't be made to the same quality standards as a pro level oem equivalent... some come close but the majority are light years behind in both materials & design.
Puting an aftermarket cylinder on a pro saw is kind of like having a porsche 911 & fitting it with a VW Beetle motor because you can't afford the right parts.
The 346 (& the other 34X & 35X husky's) suffer from loose intake clamps & a couple of other issues which would cause lean seizures. If a cylinder has been replaced but the cause hasn't been identified & fixed you'd be lucky to get a tank of gas through it before it's toasted again.
The 346 is one of my favourite saws, but for what you're considering paying I'd look at buying a new Echo or something similar.

Back