new to me husqvarna 61

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GenXer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just picked up a husqvarna 61, trying to figure out the year of it. Serial number is 6134763. The thing that's confusing me is the recoil case has a 266se sticker on it, but I'm thinking that was swapped out with the original. I just got finished bringing a 1978 162se back to life, now this one is on my bench, it was empty for 2 days this time...😂

Yep '86 model
Thanks for the response, I'm debating on whether or not to mod this saw to a 272. I only paid 60 bucks for the saw and it pops, needs a new fuel line. Piston looks good, lots of compression, probably going to run it as is till its time for a rebuild.

Keep us posted on the 272 mod progress if you decide to go ahead with that. I have a 61 anniversary edition that would really benefit from the same upgrade. Then I could pull a 25" bar with it. Right now it seems a bit short on power to pull any bar longer than 20". TIA.

I plan on running a 20" bar on this saw, I'm just on the fence with the mod

Thanks for the response, I'm debating on whether or not to mod this saw to a 272. I only paid 60 bucks for the saw and it pops, needs a new fuel line. Piston looks good, lots of compression, probably going to run it as is till its time for a rebuild.
I personally like the 266 cylinders on those saws with a hyway popup
I've been running one set up like that since last spring with a dual port muffler and a tillotson hs260a off a 272
It's my strongest non ported saw.

I plan on running a 20" bar on this saw, I'm just on the fence with the mod
"just on the fence with the mod". Not sure what that means. If you plan on running a 20" bar, seems to me that there is no reason to work your butt off and spend big bucks to make the engine more powerful.

I personally like the 266 cylinders on those saws with a hyway popup
I've been running one set up like that since last spring with a dual port muffler and a tillotson hs260a off a 272
It's my strongest non ported saw.
I'll have to look into a 266

I too have a 61. A "Practica". I was wondering if someone could tell what year it was manufactured from the photo of the ID plate. That would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• ID Plate.jpg
    ID Plate.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5024.jpg
    IMG_5024.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5025.jpg
    IMG_5025.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5027.jpg
    IMG_5027.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5028.jpg
    IMG_5028.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 2
Mine's already too hard for me to pull on with the stock 61 setup, pop up pistons are out of the question but it does seem to pull the 20" bar very well and there's no big trees around here... My 359 cuts as well as the 61 but has a compression release so the 61 gets a lot of bench time...

I just picked up a husqvarna 61, trying to figure out the year of it. Serial number is 6134763. The thing that's confusing me is the recoil case has a 266se sticker on it, but I'm thinking that was swapped out with the original. I just got finished bringing a 1978 162se back to life, now this one is on my bench, it was empty for 2 days this time...😂

I just bought a 61, as per the recoil decal. The riveted serial tage says 266SE? Safe to assume the recoil was swapped at soe point? or is this a real 61?
61- 272 are getting old now, lots of wrecks about as plenty were sold.
No way you can tell what you have until you start digging- could be 266SE cases, 61 recoil, 268 top end, 272 tank- you just never know unless you know the history of the saw or everything "looks" original and the ducks line up in a row.

Here's my Husqvarna 61 classic (200th anniversary edition):
1727304214824.jpeg
I added the new chain brake side panel, spikes, and handle. It runs fine but it's weight is a little heavier than my 257 and Stihl 361. Regardless, it cuts well and always starts. I would take it any day over a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss with a 20" bar. Both saws weigh about the same. I guess it's just a matter of what you want to wrestle with. I say, congratulations to GenXer!

Here's my Husqvarna 61 classic (200th anniversary edition):
View attachment 1207170
I added the new chain brake side panel, spikes, and handle. It runs fine but it's weight is a little heavier than my 257 and Stihl 361. Regardless, it cuts well and always starts. I would take it any day over a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss with a 20" bar. Both saws weigh about the same. I guess it's just a matter of what you want to wrestle with. I say, congratulations to GenXer!

Gee, I didn't know Husqvarna were even making gas powered chainsaws in 1889- let alone the 61 model! :surprised3:

The anniversary was for 300 years. ;)

Latest posts

Back