Newbie Question...What does it mean when it is "ported?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randydb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So? I see a lot of post mentioning that a saw has been ported. Obviously an upgrade that improves performance, but what is done when you port a saw?

Randy

At first, a ported saw could be a race ported saw or a woods ported saw. Most of saws on AS are woods ported, this means they are built to be used everyday as work saws.

The porting job may vary depending the saw. On most saws, builders have to use a lathe on the cylinder to cut the base of the cylinder to increase compression. This will also advance the cylinder ports timings. Then, they cur a crown around the piston or they cut the squish band (around the combustion chamber).

Then, they have to change the ports dimensions (not necessary on all saws). Tipycally, ports are slightly enlarged, or raised to change the timings and durations. And sometimes, to advance the timings a little more, they have to grind the flywheel key to change the flywheel position.

The mufflers are also modded. Enlarging the exhaust outlet or add another one. CAT mufflers need more work, internal baffles have to be removed most of time.

Lot of pictures and explanations here:

http://www.wickedworksaw.com/woodsporting.htm

Okay...that site you referenced makes it pretty clear. Interesting. Funny what a different configuration can make for performance.

I bought a ported 266 xp with duel exhaust today. The guy I got it from was a chainsaw mechanic for years before going to work for the government in the forest fire suppression unit repairing pumps for them. I spent 2 hours with him. He talked my ear off and really knew his stuff. Was explaining what made a good porting job and showing me another saw he was in the middle of porting. It was interesting but some of it was beyond me. But when I was done talking with him and taking the saw apart I was convinced I had a pretty good saw. Thanks for the info on porting. It got me reading and helped me recognize what I was looking at when he pointed out the 266 and said it was ported.

Just think of it like putting a new high performance cam in your mustang. It changes the timing and volume of air and fuel being brought into the combustion chamber.

So, with high performance cars, they tend to be more finicky and need to be adjusted and tuned up more often. Is this true of ported chainsaws? Just asking seeing as I own one now.

So, with high performance cars, they tend to be more finicky and need to be adjusted and tuned up more often. Is this true of ported chainsaws? Just asking seeing as I own one now.
Not finicky, just need to be tuned correctly and adjusted sometimes with different fuel/ oil mix or temperature change

Not finicky, just need to be tuned correctly and adjusted sometimes with different fuel/ oil mix or temperature change
Wouldn't porting screw up the mirochip program in a M-tronic type chainsaw? In other words, can an M-tronic type chainsaw be ported and still have it work properly?

Wouldn't porting screw up the mirochip program in a M-tronic type chainsaw? In other words, can an M-tronic type chainsaw be ported and still have it work properly?

They have a range from the base calibration which so far allows for some expansion in time/area within the ports. I didn't see it mentioned yet, some models ping off the rev limiter embedded in the coil design made to prevent over rev-ing. We are looking for some mild over-rev to enhance the saw's capability in most cases, especially to wind up quick for limbing. Sometimes it requires a coil 'upgrade'=$$.

They have a range from the base calibration which so far allows for some expansion in time/area within the ports. I didn't see it mentioned yet, some models ping off the rev limiter embedded in the coil design made to prevent over rev-ing. We are looking for some mild over-rev to enhance the saw's capability in most cases, especially to wind up quick for limbing. Sometimes it requires a coil 'upgrade'=$$.
Makes sense. Certainly the manufacturers wouldn't make their software so precise that it would preclude hotrodding. Thanks for the info...

I'm not going to pretend to know much about how's they work but it's been proven that those systems can compensate for changes to the combustion chamber and port timing. However there is a limit and certainty no definitive rules that explain the limits. That's all skill of the craft/builder and usually determined through trial and error/personal experience.

Porting chainsaws is a silly fad. I'd say it's something that will never really catch on.
I guess I could understand porting a chainsaw that you had for several years and wanted more power but didn't want to buy a new saw. But I don't know why you would want to port a new chainsaw rather than just buying a larger saw in the first place -- but maybe to take advantage of a lighter new saw and needing more power. I'm considering a new saw in the 90 cc range for milling. Maybe a lighter ported saw than the 2188/ms661/395xp category would make sense if I wanted to do forestry work with it as well.

I guess I could understand porting a chainsaw that you had for several years and wanted more power but didn't want to buy a new saw. But I don't know why you would want to port a new chainsaw rather than just buying a larger saw in the first place -- but maybe to take advantage of a lighter new saw and needing more power. I'm considering a new saw in the 90 cc range for milling. Maybe a lighter ported saw than the 2188/ms661/395xp category would make sense if I wanted to do forestry work with it as well.
It's one of those things that you just have to experience before you will truly understand... for me it's just a whole lot more fun to run a ported saw.
Porting saws is just plain stupid, especially new ones
REPORTED!!!
I find that language offensive!

Back