newby

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is the better saw for general use?

• 360 automatic

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Super XL

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • XL-12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kev

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a few Homelites in various states of disrepair that belonged to my dad (deceased). I'd like to get them back to running order just to have around. I have 2 360 automatics, a Super XL, a XL-12 (red) and one that I just found today that I haven't been able to identify. It is BIG and very square looking and I haven't got to really check it out but I didn't see any obvious model numbers.
I was hoping that someone could tell me the good and bad points of the models that I have and things to watch out for as I get them running again. Also, what mix should I run in them using either Stihl or Husky 2cycle oil?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Thanks,

Kevin

Idunno anything about your particular saws, but Husky or Stihl two cycle mixed at 32-1 or 40-1 will be better for those saws than the original spec oil.
When you go to the saw or mower shop, and they have to gas up 200 pieces of equipment of 12 different brands, do you honestly think they mix up different fuel for different equipment? Every shop I've been in had one 5 gal. can for mix gas, and they used Husky, Echo or Stihl two-cycle. This is perfect for all but the paranoid who insist on exotic and expensive two-cycle oil. See some of the threads on two-cycle mix and you will see what I mean.

The XL-12 and SXL are almost the same saw. Very reliable, but heavy and noisy by today's standards and no AV. Probably the most popular saw ever made. The 360 is a newer design and quite a nice saw. I think Solo had a hand in the design. The only big problems seem to be oiler trouble and the intake boot. I'm not sure what the parts siuation is like for that one.

Anyway, I'd go with the 360 after a complete checkup.

Mix should be 32:1, maybe 16:1 for the older ones.

About the big one. Does it look like this? If it does, then it's a C series, 1000 series, or 2100. I'd consider only the later 1000 models and the 2100 to be a viable saw these days. The older ones are too heavy for what they offer.

Yeah, it is very similiar to your pic with a few little differences on the side showing in the pic. It is in pretty rough shape but mostly complete, I may just try to clean it up and get it running to have something to do. The 360's are complete but not running, I also have a parts saw with pretty much everything still on it so they should be up and running pretty soon. I mainly just want a semi-reliable, usable saw and these hold a few memories so I think they will suit me just fine.

The oiler trouble that you spoke of......what happens and what can I do to fix it before it happens?

By the way, where would you recommend I look for any parts that I may find that I need?

Thanks again,

Kevin

To be honest, I don't know the particulars of the problem. One of the more serious Homelite guys like BillW or HomeDelightMan should be able to give it to you.

As far as parts, the average Homelite dealer can get most anything. Hawkins Bros. and the aformentioned BillW can probably get anything else. Anyone hre have contact info?

Does your saw have a big, boxy air cleaner cover and a red cover over the muffler? It's one of the later ones (not C series) if it does.

It looks exactly like the one in your pic on the top, I'll check tomorrow about the muffler cover. I don't think it has one. Do you happen to know how long and what years the 360's were made? Just curious.

I appreciate the parts info.

Thanks,

Kevin

I checked out that site, from the description and pic I think that I have a 2100. Not much info on the Super XL or the 360, plenty on the XL-12 though.

Thanks,

Kevin

2 cycle oil

Originally posted by treeclimber165
Idunno anything about your particular saws, but Husky or Stihl two cycle mixed at 32-1 or 40-1 will be better for those saws than the original spec oil.
When you go to the saw or mower shop, and they have to gas up 200 pieces of equipment of 12 different brands, do you honestly think they mix up different fuel for different equipment? Every shop I've been in had one 5 gal. can for mix gas, and they used Husky, Echo or Stihl two-cycle. This is perfect for all but the paranoid who insist on exotic and expensive two-cycle oil. See some of the threads on two-cycle mix and you will see what I mean.

2 cycle oil

When you go to the saw or mower shop, and they have to gas up 200 pieces of equipment of 12 different brands, do you honestly think they mix up different fuel for different equipment? Every shop I've been in had one 5 gal. can for mix gas, and they used Husky, Echo or Stihl two-cycle. This is perfect for all but the paranoid who insist on exotic and expensive two-cycle oil. See some of the threads on two-cycle mix and you will see what I mean. [/B]

And that Husky, Stihl or Echo oil is not made by the chainsaw company but by a refiner that submits bids to supply and gets a contract. Your Stihl Oil that someone swears is the best could be made by Exxon one month, Texaco another and some minor refiner the third, or in different parts of the country different suppliers. My Dad used to work for Texaco and it always amazed me the number of companies they made oil for, one that comes to mind is Outboard Marine Corp.

Latest posts

Back