Nikasil vs Titanikel Aftermarket Heads, What's Better for Longevity?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BING38RT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to saw building, I only have about 20-25 saws built under my belt with-in the last year. I have built & rebuilt saws with both types of heads and so far I haven't really noticed a difference in the two materials other than the Titanikel is hard to port and seems to chip.

My question is:
If you were rebuilding your own personal saw and wasn't planning on porting it, Which Aftermarket Head Material would YOU use for best longevity and why?

My next build is going to be basically a stock build, although I'd like to throw a pop-up piston in it and add a dual port muffler to help it breath better.

( PS- Yes I know it's best to use OEM but in this instance the only heads available are made by Proline, Hyway, or a super expensive Stihl OEM. Meteor isn't an option in this case and the OEM wouldn't make the rebuild feasible. )

The hardness of the plating doesnt matter much, it being stuck well is the important part so titanikel is a waste of money, it's no better than the cheap cylinder.
Unless the titanikel has better timing and squish, Id stick with the cheap jugs.

Back