Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope the harder one is on the throttle side.

If it makes you feel better I had the carb off a Homelite SXL auto last night and with that stupid bracket they use for the air cleaner stud, it was a pita also.

Wait a minute! I've been going at it bass ackwards. I'VE BEEN REMOVING THE TWO BOLTS IN THE BACK FACING THE FUEL TANK. Those attach the intake manifold to the reed valves. Therefore the entire carb and manifold come out as one. No wonder I was questioning you guys. You are referring to the two bolts on the front of the carb facing the handle.

Wait a minute! I've been going at it bass ackwards. I'VE BEEN REMOVING THE TWO BOLTS IN THE BACK FACING THE FUEL TANK. Those attach the intake manifold to the reed valves. Therefore the entire carb and manifold come out as one. No wonder I was questioning you guys. You are referring to the two bolts on the front of the carb facing the handle.

:bang::laugh:

Think I figured out the reason for my saw not running quite right. The previous owner had installed the pump gasket and diaphragm in the wrong order. When I took it apart for the rebuild I noticed the order things came off was:

1. Pump cover
2. Pump diaphragm
3. Pump gasket

According to Tilloston's website and schematics it should be:

1. Pump cover
2. Pump gasket
3. Pump diaphragm

Can't wait to try this thing out. :chainsawguy: I hope it stops raining this evening so I can get out and cut some wood.

Went wood cutting yesterday with a friend and took 3 saws: my 25D, 245A and my Stihl 034. Since this is the Poulan thread i'll post some pictures of my Poulans. Sorry not much PPE.

Here I am giving one of my 245A's a workout. We cut bigger wood than this but no pics.:( Never mind the date.

I thought this made for a good picture.

DCFC0006ab.jpg

Very nice, vintagestuff :clap: I think the 245A was probably one of Poulans best saws. Even with no anti-vibe features. I never found that to be a problem. Can't beat them for power & light weight, for a saw of their age. And much older than you, by the looks of it.:)
You might want to look up SugarCreek Supplies, he makes a nice set of replacement decals for the 245A. Will dress that one up nicely.
No need to apologize for the lack of PPE. LOL I rarely use much myself. Although I have been trying to more these days, hard to teach old dogs new habits.:D Here is a shot of my 245A, with 24" bar.

100_0393.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger Bob. I did mine the same way:D Made things much easier. LOL

Yes it is much older than I am. LOL Besides the decal on the clutch cover, the saw is pristine, not all faded like the picture shows. Even has the original windsor bar on it.:D

Think I figured out the reason for my saw not running quite right. The previous owner had installed the pump gasket and diaphragm in the wrong order. When I took it apart for the rebuild I noticed the order things came off was:

1. Pump cover
2. Pump diaphragm
3. Pump gasket

1. Pump cover
2. Pump gasket
3. Pump diaphragm

Can't wait to try this thing out. :chainsawguy: I hope it stops raining this evening so I can get out and cut some wood.

Yep, it does make a difference!

All my Poulans

Thought I'd get all my Poulans out for a group picture today.

172_2102.jpg

172_2104.jpg

From L to R: 1st row 20, 20D(Wizard), 25D(Craftsman) 2nd row 25D(Craftsman), 2300(Craftsman), 2300(Craftsman), 3700(Craftsman), 3800(Craftsman) 3rd row 361, 306A, 245A, 245A. All run except the Wizard(Needs a flywheel)

1. Pump cover
2. Pump diaphragm
3. Pump gasket

. Pump cover
2. Pump gasket
3. Pump diaphragm

Right you are. I'd also check the metering side as it goes, cover, diaphragm , and gasket or exactly opposite the pump side. Maybe he switched that around as well.

172_2102.jpg

Nice family picture vintagestuff:clap:
I havn't taken a "group" pic in some time. Someday when I get the ambition, I'll have to drag them all out and do just that.:)

I wish I had a second 245A. I hate to use mine as a work saw..LOL:dizzy:
I usually use a Poulan Pro Super 380 with a 20" bar, Craftsman 3700 with 20" bar, and a Poulan 4000 with 24" bar, for most of my cutting. When I get into bigger trees, I use a Husky 385xp with 30" bar or lately, my "man saw" as I call it, LOL Poulan 5200 with 28" bar.
Gregg,

172_2102.jpg

Nice family picture vintagestuff:clap:
I havn't taken a "group" pic in some time. Someday when I get the ambition, I'll have to drag them all out and do just that.:)

I wish I had a second 245A. I hate to use mine as a work saw..LOL:dizzy:
I usually use a Poulan Pro Super 380 with a 20" bar, Craftsman 3700 with 20" bar, and a Poulan 4000 with 24" bar, for most of my cutting. When I get into bigger trees, I use a Husky 385xp with 30" bar or lately, my "man saw" as I call it, LOL Poulan 5200 with 28" bar.
Gregg,

Nice pics Gregg. Are there any 3400's in your pics or are they 3700 and 4000's.
Bob

Those ain't my saws Bob. LOL Those belong to vintagestuff. But yes. I do have several 3400's, 4 of them.:dizzy:
Gregg,

Goodness gracious, I'm not having a good day! Must be jet lag as I'm out of the country. You are correct as I recall your stable of saws. Wife told me my 4200 came the day I left, so I'll have something to do when I get home other than drying out from the beer being consumed.
Bob

passel of saws!

thats a passel of saws vintage stuff i really like the two lil red 25d craftsmans are they auto oilers like the 25da saws or are they just manual ima get me a lil red one soon as i find one in my area thats in good shape!

Back