no way!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
well, i can't believe this, but i just snagged another complete mac super pro 125c with a 30" bar on the old auction block for, yes, let's hear it, 82 bucks. these things are always selling for 250 or more. in fact, the last one was a powerhead only, and went for that. i guess nobody saw this one, as there was only 5 bidders. i'm so stoked, tonite i'm gonna fire up all 16 of my saws at the same time and tie wrap the throttles down so the whole neighborhood can HEAR just how sick i really am............................

SOMMMMMMEBODY STOP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats. How many other scary-big saws do you have? eBay or real auction? I saw one that was ending a couple days ago.

I ran out half a tank of gas in the backyard when I fixed up the 'ol 111S. Just made sure the neighbors were out to work...

i got it on good ole ebay. yea, there was a powerhead a few days ago that apparently had straight gas run through it, so i would assume the piston/sleeve were crap. it sold for 95 bucks. the last three complete runners sold for 250, and one went for 275, so i couldn't believe i got this for 82 bucks. the guy says its got good compression and spark, but ya takes yer chances on ebay, for sure, so we'll see. i've gotten alot of so called parts saws off there, and have not yet got one that couldn't be made to run. and i've yet to get one that needed any serious work/parts. mostly a good cleaning, carb cleaning/kit, and ignition adjustments, muffler and head carbon removal, that sort of thing.
lets see, now i got 2 super pro 125's, 088, 066, partner r12, an unidentified saw i've had for 25 years, and the tag fell off and i can't recall who made it, with a west bend 820 on it. that thing is a beast! a clinton d35, a mac super 250, mac 1-41 which is another screamer, mac 15 which is a dog, and a few midsize and several small saws. i might have missed a couple, i'll have to go check!

You've had some good luck there. Everything's happened to me as far as auction saws. Got an 011 that was described as good, it was good. Got a Stihl 026 that was described as great, it was worse than scrap. Got the 111S that was said to be a parts saw, it was terrific. About $40 in parts later and it's like new.

Those are some real monsters. In case Mike Acres is reading this, any known brands use those West Bend 820s? I only have a couple of big saws. Homelite SXL-925 (82cc) plus the Jonsereds 111S (110cc), then there's the RS RingSaw (81cc), but no one wants to get near it. :)

john, i really like that 111, hope to find one someday. i got a partner r12 you'd probly like. not quite as big as the jonesy, 94cc, but it is one strong runner, and quite an advanced saw for its age, i think. it pulls a 30" .404 chain through 24" hard maple with authority. i don't know if you know wayne sutton or not, but i sent him some pics of my unknown saw a while back, and he said he thought it might be a whitehead, although i've never seen one like it in all my searching for saws. in fact that is what got me started on this "quest for saws". i've always had several saws, since i was a teenager, a big one for big wood, and a midsize, and a couple babys, and it just ate at me that i couldn't recall what kind of saw that was, even though i've had it for all those years. i know it was made around or just prior to 1961, cause the tag on the engine says "west bend aluminum co." and i know that after 1961 they sold out to chrysler. i have some pics if anyone would care to see it, although the quality isn't great. cheap pc camera, but you can see it good enough that someone would recognize it if they were familiar with it. it would make my day, for sure!

sorry doug,
i believe it does have reeds, most of the macs that i have, and have worked on, from the 60's and 70's, do use reed valve induction. i have another sp125, but honestly i have not taken the intake apart more than to pull the carb off and clean it out, but i'm sure theres some reeds down in there. i'll tell ya, that saw is a monster to run! not much rpm's but gobs of torque. it'll really waggle yer woody! if ya can stand the noise, that is. but its music to my ears. it looks pretty much the same system as all my other macs, and they all got reeds, cept my mini mac 30, which is piston ported. also got a mac 15, a unique looking saw, that intakes through the very bottom of the crankcase. haven't had that manifold off either, but i know theres reed in there, as well. i don't think that particular setup worked very well, i have a couple saws like that, and they are dogs. fun to run, though!

my "new" 1-51

I was checking for parts again for my 1-51, and saw a "nice saw" for sale. Looking at the pics, I saw it was a 1-51. I did not want to wait any longer to get my parts, so I did the buy it now and I guess I have a new saw coming. I am still looking for the starter pulley, so maybe I can have 2 running, but without a doubt I will have my old one up and running soon. Hey it is always nice to have a spare for something. Thanks for the help previously. I will keep looking for whatever else I need, but have NO intention of making buying saws a full time hobby. JB

oakman,
In '63 and '64 I purchased 3 or 4 Montgomery Ward chainsaws with the 820 West Bend engine. The model number was WD99. If I could see a picture of it, I could identify it. In one of those saws I ran a Horstman stroker which made it 10.2 cubic Inches.
Art Martin

arts 820

Hello oatman,
Art Martin is the expert on 820 west bends. for a number of years running he was thewinner in the california state championships. He showed me a newspaper article where cut a 32 inch log in 6.8 seconds to win that year. Heres a photo of his current 820 west bend he built last year
ken

Hello Art, thats one nice looking guitar you built there. I bet it makes some sweet music. I hope you can bring it to Clearwater next year and show us how it is done.
Lil Leroy

Uncle Art...i surely do hope you make it up here to God's country next year..i need my chain sharpened before then though...lol...that WB is a sweetheart...i am thinking maybe we should have a race of the old macs and titans that actualy run...or any old two man saws.....can we get enough here to work a race?? that would be fun...

Uncle Art...i surely do hope you make it up here to God's country next year..i need my chain sharpened before then though...lol...that WB is a sweetheart...i am thinking maybe we should have a race of the old macs and titans that actualy run...or any old two man saws.....can we get enough here to work a race?? that would be fun...

art,
here is a pic of my west bend powered saw. terrible pic maybe you recognize it. it was originally red, not sure if that was the factory color or not. very little paint was on it when i got it, but i did find some copper color on the bottom of the motor that looked to be original.

Back