old pioneer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey guys I'm a new member and have a question for ya. I work for a guy as a ground foreman and used his 365, 288 and his 066. I just purchased an old Pioneer p-51 for personal use ( i burn 8 cord a year) and I got to tell ya I think that old saw would keep up nicely with those huskys!!! it's 82 cc 5 ci but I have no idea on the horsepower. you guys have any thoughts?? any one know how to boost the hp???

Last edited:
Hello JHR, I'm also new on this forum and was interested in your comments on your Pioneer P-51. I also have a P-51 that I've had since 1983. The saw had a good rep and was popular in the area I was living in then. Heavy bugger but plenty of power for me. I am looking for parts to keep it running. If you or anyone else on this forum knows of any Pioneer P-51's for sale, feel free to contact me. John

there is a member here that uses the screen name Pioneer. He's online every week or two I think. He collects and restores Pioneer saws. You should be able to email him from his profile here on AS.

yeah she's a bit heavy but she sure can cut!!! I just picked mine up a couple of weeks ago and I just really used it today on a large maple.....sawbuck what size bar are you using and any idea on the horsepower???

treeclimber, happiness is not only sawdust in yer teeth but in your hair, eyes, and clothes... true joy is finding chips in your bed!!!!

jhr I don't have any idea the hp of the P-51, I don't think anybody really cared back when I bought the saw, just could it get the job done. The owners manual that I still have is pitifully uninformative, doesn't even give cc size. I have a 24" bar and have used all of it once in a while, but probably be better off all around with 20". I don't have experience with any other saw to compare it to, but it has a lot of low end and is happiest there.
Thanks Treeclimber for the 411 about Pioneer. I'll try to get ahold of him. John

I have to agree jhr these old saws sure have power. Should run right up with the new ones. I cut mostly red oak for firewood with my P50 never bogs down and just slices through it like butter:D I love these saws, its a shame they dont make them anymore.

Hey guys, they are great old saws and there are still parts available if you look in the right places. I have a p-40, p-41, and 2 p-60's. I have two friends that run p-51's and they're all strong runners. I am also curious about how my p-60 would compare to one of the bigger huskys. I'd like to buy one for milling maybe a 385 or 395 but I don't know how they compare. Maybe one of the guys on the site with experience with both saws can let us know. Pioneer was real popular in northern Arizona where they used to log alot and there are still a few around. Hey sawbuck, what part of Arizona are you in?

Almost forgot, let me know what parts you are looking for and I can tell you the places that I have found. Also check out the chainsaw collectors corner site. Great site with lots of info on the different pioneer models as well as all saws.

Paul, I have used a 365, a 288 an 066, and a 272 with a friend of mine who has a tree removal business and I think my saw would out perform these saws greatly. Now I know you asked about the bigger ones like the 395 but I think a tweaked P-51 which rupedoggy can do would be my bet. believe it or not I don't think I would buy a new husky or sthil after using the P-51 it just doesn't make economic sense!!!!

I've got some friends that have newer Huskys but they areall smaller 3-4ci. It seems like my 41 will keep up with that size saw with no problem. I've thought about having a saw modified but don't know much about it. I figured it would help the newer saws more than the older saws but not sure.Your'e right about the economic sense thing but when it comes to saw stuff I don't have alot of that. I think that Husky builds a great saw and would like to add one to my collection one day. Thought about the 3120 but that seems a little big for what I do. I'm also thinking of not using the older saws as much in order to prolong their life.

I have seen some very strong running Pioneers on the race circut, I ran a poulan 655 in Canada just a newer P62, I've got a P51 suped-up just not dialed in yet, but its strong, just needs a bigger reed and intake area.
Green is good
Jon

what are some of the mods that are being done to the pioneers? Are there some simple things that can be done without getting to wild that will make a big difference?

Champion Engineering in Westwood Calif. has some reeds that make a differance. Sorry don't have his phone # right now.

Paul Hill,
really interested in your parts sources. I have a P40 I'm working on right now needs lots of parts.

jhr,
I know what you mean in economic sense. These are the only saws I use right now. Was thinking about and still might get a new Husky though. The Pioneers are a little heavy but when compared to the larger model new Huskys etc. they are about the same weight wise. I'd say a P60,P62 would be a good milling saw.

I'm working on a slightly modified P40 right now. I am putting another oulet in the muffler case. and cleaning up the intake area a little. I might send the cylinder off for porting and higher compression also.

I'd also be very interested in hearing what other things can be done to them.

The best place I have found for overall original parts is called Metzger Brothers in Ft. Jennings Ohio. Their phone is 419-286-2770. I have been dealing with a lady named Elaine. I found them through the internet and a local saw shop. They don't have the parts but they are getting them from someone else. It helps if you have the original Pioneer part number and description of the part. Some parts are very reasonable and some are a little high. I also e-mailed Mike Acres on this site and he said he could help me with parts. He helped me find air filters through Poulan but so far I haven't needed any more parts. There are several guys on this site that can also help you with parts or parts saws. The biggest problem I have had is that most people you talk to don't know squat about anything that is not brand new. I think this site might be your best bet for parts because these guys know what they have and what they are doing. There are a few other places that sell parts for Pioneers but its all stuff like air filters, starter ropes and springs, dog teeth, etc. Let me know if you need any of that info
Hey sawracr, thanks for the info I'll see if I can locate them.Not sure what if anything I'm going to do right now but I'm thinking on it. Thanks.

Hi Paul and everybody - You are correct, I was living in Flagstaff at the time and the most popular saw in the woods then 1981-1984 was Pioneer. They closed down the pulp mill around that time in Flag. I'm in Bullhead City now. Drug out the old Pioneer to do some work and no spark. Any ideas? It was running when I put it up about 5 yrs ago. Only thing that bothers me about my saw is no brake. Was a brake an option, I don't remember? Later, John

thanks

thanks all for your time and input!!! I appreciate it greatly. You have all given me valuable information that I am using daily!!! Man, I love this site!!!! :D

Hey Sawbuck, not sure about the spark problem unless it's the ignition module. I know a couple of people that have had them go bad. I know you can still get new ones but the only ones I have found come as a kit with the cylinder, etc. It's called the cylinder kit and sells for about 175$!! I'm sure you could find a new or used one on this site if you ask, if thats even the problem. What all have you checked? I know that when you look at the parts list and breakdown of the p-51 and p-60 that it shows a chain break on it. The pictures on the Arborist site show both models with chain breaks so I believe it was an option. My 41 has a break but I have not ever seen a break on the bigger models,guess it wasn't popular

Latest posts

Back