old pioneer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul,
Thanks for the parts source! I'll see what they have.

Sawbuck,
I would check that the module mounting sufaces are clean for good ground. Also set the gap between it and the flywheel. I think its like.020. Check kill switch and wire to make sure its not grounding it.

Thats suprising that you have to buy a cylinder with it. Don't they have the style like the P51 has anymore? The only reson I can see to do that is to convert to the newest system that came on the P52. I know thats still availible and I think Homelite used a module like the P51 not sure what its part # is though.

The brakes were optional probably not very popular since brakes were just coming out then. Adds alot of extra weight too. As long as you be careful it will be fine. Never had mine kickback.

First let me add my kudos with jhr and say that for the short time I've been aware of Arboristsite that the willingness of members to help others is very refreshing. More amazing is that several people obviously make their living modifying and working on the saws of others and they are willing to share their information.
Thank you "Paul" and "Pioneer" for your latest info. Thinking back, I bought the P-51 in 1982 and listened to "experts" of the day who poo-pooed the chain brake as extra weight and didn't take the place of safe operation. I became a semi-pro (read part time) firewood cutter and never had a kickback either, but don't ever want to. My P-51 appears to have a regular magneto and the flywheel magnets make and break the spark. I'll check out your suggestions, thanks again. John

Latest posts

Back