• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Oregon 34" Reduced Weight bar for Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radio

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Oregon Reduced Weight bar w/red lettering - I purchased this new last year and never used it. It's 34" in Stihl medium mount, 3/8 pitch, .063 gauge, 110 drive links. $129 shipped to the lower 48.

20170211_231151-1.jpg

radio, how much does this bar sag in the middle if you lay it on it's side between two boards at the sprocket center and at 2" in front of the bolt slot? A yard stick or piece of string will tell the story.

It's a lightweight bar, it will flex more than a solid bar. I've never milled but I'm not sure that's a good application for lightweight bars.
I'm sure your are on target with that and I just found a post where a guy was felling a large pine and had the aluminum delaminate from heat buildup...so milling is the last thing to use these bars for.

I did the test that you requested and see a 1/16" deflection. I also did another test and compared it with my 32" Power Match solid bar. What I did was suspend the bars as you mentioned, put a ruler in front of the bar near the middle to measure the distance to the table and then put a gallon water (8lbs) on the bar. The shorter, stiffer 32" solid bar deflected 2/16". The longer 34" reduced weight bar deflected 3/16". 1/16" is not much difference.

As far as delamination, that bar must have been overheated excessively. Could have been lack of oiler ouput, not using .063 gauge to maximize oil flow, not using skip chain to reduce load, an overly tightened chain, and who knows what other conditions could have affected it. The aluminum insert is also held in place by rivets on either end. I had seen a post where someone had added a third rivet in the middle so if it did delaminate under abuse then it would stay in place and not bulge out or cause more flex in the bar.

Lightweight bars are not designed to be abused, stick to solid bars for tough conditions.

Latest posts

Back