Picked up an 038 magnum today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinman204

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
After searching for a bigger saw to go with my ms260 I stumbled on this 038 magnum on a local site yesterday.

It looked in ok shape and had a new 24" stihl sprocket nose bar and chain..
nJDyBsg.jpg

j69tW6y.jpg

S0KNfwz.jpg

5tP8Xlj.jpg

Guy that had it was a local chainsaw guy, said he just went through it and did new crank bearings, seals and case seals.

He installed new 52mm OEM stihl rings and said that's how he knew it was magnum as the 038 is 48mm, super is 50mm and magnum is 52mm. Said his buddy is the original owner and he said he peeled the magnum sticker off years ago.

It runs pretty good, and is clean.

Paid about $250 US for it with the new bar and chain. Did I do ok?

Is there any way I can confirm it's a magnum without pulling the cylinder? I've noticed magnum cylinders have a larger exhaust port and this one looks consistent with pictures of mag cylinders I've seen on the internet.

Should be a great duo with my ms260
opFgpCq.jpg

Can't wait to cut some wood with it!!

Use chopstick or straw trick.

Pull muffler, put chopstick through the Ex port center till it hits the intake wall. Try to stay centered. Turn crank till piston crown/Ex roof indents chopstick. Use your calipers to check size.

I post the serial and my bore measurement findings tonight.

Have to clean the serial area good as it really discolored there.

The serial is a bit hard to read but here it is

332838973 is what it looks like to me.

This is the number on the right front top between the chain brake and the muffler.

I just measured the bore with a straw, its 52mm so that confirms I have a magnum.

It also has the bing carb and dual port muffler. The more I look this thing over the happier I am, it seems correct and not messed with.

Noticed theres no gasket between the muffler and cylinder so I'll have to remedy that. I'm sure the engine would like a bit of back pressure.

Cut some wood with the new saw today.

I will say I'm very impressed with an 038 mags performance.

Not the fastest saw but it sure grunts.

Saw runs perfect, had to fatten up the high end and a bit of mod range tuning but otherwise it was perfect..

70ccs is where it's at..

I figured at that price with a new bar and chain I can't loose.

It is heavy and old but like you said it cuts wood pretty well. And I'm sure it will last as long as I want it to.

Back