Pioneer P61 compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

108logger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have a 1980 Pioneer P61 saw that was sitting for many years not running.

Cleaned up saw and got it running but it lost compression. Checked with compression tester and it had 35 psi.

Pulled apart and found some minor scratches in cylinder and on piston plus rings appeared to be stuck on piston.

Honed cylinder and cleaned up scratches. Put in new piston, rings and crank seals plus new base gasket.

Saw now has 125 psi compression.

Is 125 psi too low?

Tried to start it and it has good fuel delivery and good spark but struggling to pop off most times. Did run for a few seconds but not good.

Going to rebuild carb, gaskets and diaphragm will be replaced.

Main concern is compression may be low because I’ve read some posts stating it should be 160 psi.

Thanks for any help.

It should start with 125. Compression will likely increase after some run time to seat the rings. No sense guessing at anything else until the carb is gone through.

Thanks for the reply. Its really hard to pull the starter rope with 125 psi so I think it’s got to be ok.

Questioning the piston installation.

Piston had an “E” marked on top and I assumed this side should face exhaust port. Otherwise it would face other side of cylinder.

Am I right or did I install backwards?

Thanks

Update:

Got saw running good with new piston, seals and carb rebuild.

I need a new chain. Chain is on a 36" bar , chain has a 3/8 pitch, don't know the gauge.

Where can I find a replacement chain?

Having a hard time finding a 36" chain, Oregon only goes to 20 inches.

Thanks

Update:

Got saw running good with new piston, seals and carb rebuild.

I need a new chain. Chain is on a 36" bar , chain has a 3/8 pitch, don't know the gauge.

Where can I find a replacement chain?

Having a hard time finding a 36" chain, Oregon only goes to 20 inches.

Thanks
Where exactly are you looking to say Oregon only goes to 20 inch loops?????

I looked online at an Oregon catalog and at a local shop in an Oregon catalog and they all went up to 20 inches, nothing longer.

Found 36 inch bars but they will not work for the pioneer oiler.

If you know of a part # for a replacement chain or bar I’d appreciate it

Latest posts

Back