Please help identify my stihl saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D

No Longer Here
Reaction score
I just acquired this stihl. It says type 1106 on the tag. If you have a muffler for it let me know.

Series 1106 is the Contra,070,Contra S,and the 090! Does it say anything about displacement on that tag?

Where'd you run across that old beast? It's an 090 or 070. I don't think the Contra models even came with foam grips. Check the number of clutch shoes to be sure. I think the big'un has six.

Oh, can't help with the muffler, but see if you can find the "jungle model."

This one will be fun to watch: first glance says it's some variant on the 08S/S10 theme, but the handle/air cleaner cover is certainly different. Where's the Orange paint?

Unless the floor tile squares are bigger than 12", it doesn't look quite big enough for 070/90, and I thought the spark plug came straight out of the head on 070. On the other hand, there does seem to be some similarities to <a href= "http://people.freenet.de/motorsaegensammler.de/Stihl-Contra.htm"> this Stihl Contra </a> if you imagine the red cover being in place.

Last edited:
I've never seen an S-10 that looked like that, although you're right in that it looks small. OK, now I'm thinking. I don't seem to recall the old Contra models having a straight plug. The orange would be on the "turtle shell" that covers the cylinder shroud. Has the white on this thing be repainted battleship gray?

Offical decree of the moment is Contra S with a recent 090 handlebar. :)

Darin i am pretty shure your saw is a Stihl Contra lightning, it looks just like the one that i have except i have a new recoil for an 090 on mine as this saw shares many of the same parts as a 070 or 090 so a muffler of either one should fit as well. If you have the top cover for it, it should say contra on it unless it's wore off. Stihl started making the contra in 1959 there ar some earlyier post here about the contra you will have to dig back quite a ways Rick.

1106 -thats contra super lightning,06,06s,d24,d24s,070,070av.anymore numbers please. Seth
tape.gif

Last edited:
Darin
I am also going with Contra.I am not sure if I have a muffler or not,but I will check when I get some time.I do have the orange top cover,engine case,crank,and more.
Leaving here today,wont be back until tomorrow night.I am going camping,no computer,no Arborist site,I am sure I will go into withdraw until I return to my PC.I guess I need a laptop.
Later
Dan

Hi Darin i was just looking @ my contra and noticed that the muffler has two ears at the top with a rollpin that goes through them , This holds a clip that snaps on to hold the turtle shell cover on, There is another one of these clips at te rear of the cover. So if you are going to keep the saw all original you will have to find a muffler for a contra. I think really the main difference between the contra and the 070 --090 (all being 1106 series saws)is the cylinder top where the top cover mounts on . It would be interesting to know if the cylinder base bolt pattern for all 3 saws where the same. If they are the same i don't know why one couldn't convert a contra into a 070 0r 090 depending on weather the contra was a S model or just a lightning ! I am pretty shure the contra S is the same engine disp. as the 090-- and the contra lightning is the same disp. as the 070. Rick.

Hey Darin, I was just out in the shed looking at my Contra Lightning. I know from some searching that the Lightning did use the 070 engine. If you can find the muffler, the tabs on the top of the muffler will tell the tale of what it is.
Josh

I sent the pic to a buddy at Stihl and he told me its a contra Lightening. The winners are........ (read above) Thanks for the help guys.:blob2:

Hello,
It isnt a 090, I just ordered new top cover, wrap around handle, and bar cover for my 090. So the parts for the older saws can still be had,depends on hwta dealer ya talk to, one told me he couldn't get parts for it and one,,,well he got them all! So check around dealers..they can call around.

Oh I see Dennis, strippin my saws and sellin the parts on me!
Darin, you are looking at a 106cc Contra, called the Red Lightning in Canada. It is just an older 070 and shares alot of parts of that saw and the 090. The Red Lightning was probably the most revolutionary saw ever manufactured.
John

question.

I recently acquired a Stihl "Lightning". It is complete, but needs some replacement parts. Anyone have parts laying around? Also, whats the cc's on this thing? I've heard a ton of different people tell me different things. It has the RED top cover and says "lightning" in script. What is the engine based on, an 070 or an 090?

Josh:D

Yep, thats the saw. Funny though, the guy who owns that saw is the same guy I got mine from. He never told me he had more of them.:D

I really don't know if that muffler will fit Dennis, but if you do know let me know how much.

Latest posts

Back