Please Help! What is Going on With My Poor Trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClaireClaire

Reaction score
I had some turf installed for a dog run and I'm afraid something bad happened to my beautiful trees in the process. Does anyone know what this is? It's spreading so fast and my gardner won't respond to my messages. I don't know what to do. I posted this on Reddit too but I'm desperate and worried about whatever this is infecting my other trees so I wanted to try here as well.

Attachments

• 20240801_144657.jpg
    20240801_144657.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240801_144706.jpg
    20240801_144706.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240801_144810.jpg
    20240801_144810.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240801_144856.jpg
    20240801_144856.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20240801_145028.jpg
    20240801_145028.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 3
That is not on your gardener, or whoever installed the turf. You have a VERY BAD girdling root problem. They are choking off the circulation of the tree and are likely responsible for the sap backing up and oozing out of the bark. There is also a pretty bad wound on the tree. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but you need to get a certified arborist out asap. The cost shouldn't be that bad, but whatever it is, just pay it.

Roots are trying to find water. The turf is preventing water from getting to the roots. So the roots are growing around each other to get water and in the process killing itself.

Like a boa restrictor choking itself out.

That is not on your gardener, or whoever installed the turf. You have a VERY BAD girdling root problem. They are choking off the circulation of the tree and are likely responsible for the sap backing up and oozing out of the bark. There is also a pretty bad wound on the tree. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but you need to get a certified arborist out asap. The cost shouldn't be that bad, but whatever it is, just pay it.
Ok, I will. Thank you for responding.

Did the roots get girdled when they stripped the soil surface to install the turf?
Girdling roots are when tree roots grow around a tree and cut off the tree's circulation. They have nothing to do with the turf installation. But yes, her root problem has been going on a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if there hasn't been dieback in the canopy to go along with it.

Girdling roots are when tree roots grow around a tree and cut off the tree's circulation. They have nothing to do with the turf installation. But yes, her root problem has been going on a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if there hasn't been dieback in the canopy to go along with it.
The girdled roots I see in the photo are massive. I'd guess they were planted that way.

I'm talking about going around with a string trimmer and taking all the bark off.

I had some turf installed for a dog run and I'm afraid something bad happened to my beautiful trees in the process. Does anyone know what this is? It's spreading so fast and my gardner won't respond to my messages. I don't know what to do. I posted this on Reddit too but I'm desperate and worried about whatever this is infecting my other trees so I wanted to try here as well.
That does not appear like it happened overnight. Is there a large tree close nearby those root are originating from? Why not have someone cut those roots out with an axe or sacrificial chainsaw blade?
roots.jpg

Latest posts

Back