Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any of you guys have one of these 3 point hitch dump setups? The bed is 6' W x 4' L x 14" D. I missed out on one yesterday. It looks pretty rugged. I may just have to make one up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240917_210538_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240917_210538_Facebook.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240917_210506_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240917_210506_Facebook.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240917_210446_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240917_210446_Facebook.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
You might have to go back to pages 1-8 or so to find comments about wood scrounging, but yes, plenty of free wood to be had here. Tree service and homeowner postings on Craigslist/Facebook every day. Often not the best firewood (but sometimes it is). Neighbors, friends, work colleagues, and just asking others about downed trees and cleanup will get more than you can use. Probably an opportunity thing compared to Wyoming, with more trees and/or more people in other locations.
I had a guy near me that had a massive white oak cut down, like 38-40in DBH. Listed it for free on marketplace. I went and cut 2 truck loads out of the upper portion of the branches, which were like trees themselves, and before I could go back someone else had came in and brought his mini and loaded the logs and cleaned up the rest that I did not get.

He also had a combo propane/charcoal grill listed for free too, was like 2 years old and looked brand new. Snagged that on the first load of wood.

First load of HVBW . Need to do some planning to get the most board ft out of the trunk . I’ll be picking that up Friday with the trailer need the winch and boom IMG_9029.jpegIMG_9030.jpegIMG_9031.jpeg
These make it hard to maneuver like walking on baseballs
IMG_9033.jpeg
View attachment VID_80990722_004321_955.mp4

Changed all the stump grinder teeth today after sharpening them up on a green wheel. I blasted all the bolts and cutter blocks. This big 3/4" torque wrench made it easy to crank the bolts down to 200 ft. lbs.

Attachments

• 20240918_133428.jpg
    20240918_133428.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240918_100957.jpg
    20240918_100957.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
First load of HVBW . Need to do some planning to get the most board ft out of the trunk . I’ll be picking that up Friday with the trailer need the winch and boom View attachment 1205685View attachment 1205686View attachment 1205687
These make it hard to maneuver like walking on baseballs
View attachment 1205688
View attachment 1205689
Just use the winch to drag them the rest of the way on the trailer then? Does the lift pick them high enough to double and tipple stack? One of the downfalls of my log escapades has been a lack of arch, haven't had the time to start building one, but been taking notes from others. If I have equipment, I'll stack 3 or 4 courses high on the trailer. Kinda trying to get a feel for what's possibly with a log arch that isn't super high and heavy.
Have you done any pulls not inline with the back of the trailer, or done any long up hill pulls using the arch? If so, anything you would change ? I got a bunch of logs from a lady who's back yard had a pretty nasty hill, I was using the deck over at the time so it was quite difficult winching over the back of the trailer and off the side I do have a shite rig pully I use, but basically skidded the logs up a ramp I made. Not the most efficient and I couldn't do much more then double stack with smaller logs.

Just use the winch to drag them the rest of the way on the trailer then? Does the lift pick them high enough to double and tipple stack? One of the downfalls of my log escapades has been a lack of arch, haven't had the time to start building one, but been taking notes from others. If I have equipment, I'll stack 3 or 4 courses high on the trailer. Kinda trying to get a feel for what's possibly with a log arch that isn't super high and heavy.
Have you done any pulls not inline with the back of the trailer, or done any long up hill pulls using the arch? If so, anything you would change ? I got a bunch of logs from a lady who's back yard had a pretty nasty hill, I was using the deck over at the time so it was quite difficult winching over the back of the trailer and off the side I do have a shite rig pully I use, but basically skidded the logs up a ramp I made. Not the most efficient and I couldn't do much more then double stack with smaller logs.
I reset the chain and use the arch to get it all the way in . The winch and arch do a great job though when I do long drags . Side pulls are a little tricky since you’re loading all the force to one side of the arch . I usually use another tree to do side pulls . I can double stack larger on bottom smaller on top . When I’m really loading up (overload😆) I use the front end loader .
View attachment VID_81120127_161718_711.mp4

This tree won’t be to difficult since I’ll be cutting into 4-6 ft sections because it’s so twisted

Me: I love that new perfume honey!

Wife: that's nice but I think I'm gonna find one that smells like 2 cycle so you know what it's like sleeping with you sometimes.

Me: id probably just get excited and start feeling around for a pull rope!

Wife: watch out, you might find the chain!

My brain: warning ! danger ! Stop!

Me : ( ignoring brain) sounds like I need to find a better muffler!

Doctor: we won't know if the damage is permanent til the swelling goes down!

Me: I love that new perfume honey!

Wife: that's nice but I think I'm gonna find one that smells like 2 cycle so you know what it's like sleeping with you sometimes.

Me: id probably just get excited and start feeling around for a pull rope!

Wife: watch out, you might find the chain!

My brain: warning ! danger ! Stop!

Me : ( ignoring brain) sounds like I need to find a better muffler!

Doctor: we won't know if the damage is permanent til the swelling goes down!
Ok the doc part was made up, but it was pretty close to reality I think! Will sleep with one eye open tonight!

Latest posts

Back