Please help! Young trees, bark quite badly damaged.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicci

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I would appreciate any help with this situation for I am just sick about this.

Last spring we planted several decorative plum (“Thundercloud” flowering) and pear (“Cleveland” flowering) trees, about 7-9’ tall (1-1/4” dia). The trees were doing quite well until late fall when I noticed that deer had been rubbing the bark. To protect, I wrapped the trunks with brown “tree wrap” (and I also tied bars of Dial soap to the branches—it worked to repel deer) and secured the wrap with cotton string. I wasn’t going to remove the wrap, thinking that it would protect the trees, but today I did. And I couldn’t believe what was underneath.

The areas where the bark was all rubbed away is shredding On some trees worse than on others), and on a few trunks there are vertical splits down the bark for several inches and it looks as though the bark is loose underneath. Around all of the damage is a brownish bumpy growth, not very hard because I was able to dent it with my thumbnail. I am so angry with myself because I believe that keeping the paper on for so long was the reason for this. I’m afraid that on a few of the trees, the damaged area is almost half of the circumference of the trunk by about 10” long.

How can I save these trees?

Any idea what the growth is (a callus, or a fungus)?

I will do anything I can. If necessary I will spray them regularly with pesticides, fungicides, anything to keep them healthy. And fertilize them as well (I have fertilizer spikes, I just hadn’t gotten around to using them yet).

Should I use that black “tree wound repair” goop on protect the trees from further damage?

The trees all look exceptionally healthy, with glossy new growth. I’m just holding my breath.

I don’t have a digital camera, but will take photos with my 35mm and rush the developing, if anyone thinks that would help.

Oh, please help. I have several “homeowner” books on trees and shrubs and their diseases/pests, but cannot find an answer.

Thank you so much in advance.

THe growth sounds like callus, don't panic, put the spikes away, look at the link below to see they were planted/mulched right, send pics.

treeseer said:
THe growth sounds like callus, don't panic, put the spikes away, look at the link below to see they were planted/mulched right, send pics.

Thank you so much for your reply. I was afraid to come back to this site, afraid about what dire news I may hear! I'm glad that the growths are most likely callus instead of some crazy fungus. I read the page about tree mulching (love the term "mulching volcanoes"!) and yes, our trees are mulched (mainly to retain moisture) but not overly so. We did plant the trees correctly. Learned a long time ago that taking "tree planting shortcuts" is not the thing to do...

I will forget about the fertilizer spikes as you suggest, but for now or for always?

I will try to get some photos posted asap. I may have some film for my "instant camera" somewhere, but it may be too old to be any good, so I may have to develop the photos. I'll do it as quickly as I can.

Again, thank you!

Latest posts

Back