Pole saw recommendations, please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hope I'm on the right forum.

At any rate, I may be in the market for a pole saw. While I appreciate quality tools (I have a MS261 for instance).....I'm just a homeowner that might use a pole saw no more than 2-3 hours per year. And my budget is not high as my money is being poured into a new home build. That said, I don't want to purchase the cheapest thing out there either. I just want to make sure my limited budget goes as far as possible.

What are some recommendations?

Do not, I repeat, do not get the 18v x2 Makita pole saw. Dealer told me that the Makita rep said that the model was a dud. He was right.....
constantly stalls in the cut, heavy, poorly balanced and keeps switching itself off. Worst tool I ever bought.
The Makita 18v x2 brushcutter on the other hand, is an absolute delight. Sold the 4 stroke Honda brushcutter shortly afterwards.

A great 2 stroke pole saw is the Husky 525PT5S. Starts easily, well balanced, doesn't feel heavy and plenty of length. Arborist friend of mine tried it and loved it and thought it was better balanced than the equivalent Stihl. https://www.husqvarna.com/us/pole-saws/525pt5s/

At any rate, I may be in the market for a pole saw. While I appreciate quality tools (I have a MS261 for instance).....I'm just a homeowner that might use a pole saw no more than 2-3 hours per year. And my budget is not high as my money is being poured into a new home build. That said, I don't want to purchase the cheapest thing out there either. I just want to make sure my limited budget goes as far as possible.

You can get a gas trimmer with a head that can accept different attachments like a pole saw, brush cutter, hedge trimmer, sweeper. Look at Echo Stihl or Husqvarna. You can buy extensions to reach up higher if/when needed. Those models that can do this are well made and will last if cared for, the trimmer heads that are greaseable are good if you can find one like that. You can add more attachments as needed over time, dealers have packages available too. Echo has the attachment system, Stihl has Combi and Husqvarna has multi functional systems. Shop around. You can rent pole saws from home depot also, this is a good option for some.

Thanks, guys!

I should have mentioned that I want gas. And while I like the idea of getting one capable of accepting attachments, I'd prefer to just have a dedicated pole saw.
Important tip when using a pole saw: ALWAYS make a small cut on the underside of the branch first or your chain can easily get jammed in the branch and getting it out up there isn't easy and can cause damage to the bar/chain.

And always wear a hard hat with visor.

I know you said gas, but I've been very happy with my Milwaukee 18v pole saw. Loaned it to a friend and he liked it well enough that he bought his own. Highly recommended.

2-3 hours/yr use is exactly where battery electric stuff shines. Going gas, give canned premix fuel strong consideration.

I may be in the market for a pole saw. .....I'm just a homeowner that might use a pole saw no more than 2-3 hours per year.
Thanks, guys!

I should have mentioned that I want gas. And while I like the idea of getting one capable of accepting attachments, I'd prefer to just have a dedicated pole saw.
Truth be told the ideal tool for you would be a battery powered saw. I am in the same boat but I chose a gas powered tool anyway. I went with the PPT-2620 which is overkill for my needs. I intended this as a lifetime purchase and I will never feel undergunned. Now I can help with the big pines on my family's lots in the mountains.
The attachment version is the PAS-2620 which is an attractive alternative. I have owned a few multi tools before (albeit cheaper ones) and they have drawbacks. Any tool that tries to do everything will have to make compromises.

I noticed that the Makita battery multi-tool pole saw was quite a lot shorter than the dedicated version which was a bit shorter again than the 2 stroke Husky (I think). So watch out for pole length before making the decision as they can vary quite a lot.

I have a Stihl HT 101, extendable, that has been very reliable. Probably 20 + years old. Had to replace the coil once, other than that just sharpening the chain and a (minor) valve adjustment.

It's cut some pretty large limbs, also works well when the tree is dropped for light limbing, keeping me out of the downed canopy. As mentioned prior, an undercut is mandatory.

I get it too; funds can be light while building. Thinking ahead, down the road maybe you'll use it more than anticipated. I believe in buy once, cry once with quality tools. If you ever decide you don't need it, higher end brings higher return when selling.

I was in "want", too for a pole saw. After much research, I elected the Stihl HT 100-2 which uses a 12" .043" 61PMM44 3/8"P chain, on its 3005-000-3905 bar. Mine is a model way back from 2006, but every time I use it, it starts on 2nd or 3rd pull; I allow it (as well as any/all petrol saws) to warm up for two minutes -- and it cuts most well!!! I use premium ethanol-free gasoline with Red Armor mixed to 40:1. When done using, I drain and then run it out to store dry. Similarly I drain bar/chain oil.
This saw comes in two versions -- fixed length (which I have) or the same with a telescoping longer handle/reach. I opted for the fixed as it is light enough to have control. Often I choose to under-cut limbs, and to my thinking the extended, heavier model would be (for me!) too much of a challenge to precisely control.
Frankly, I feel I made a great choice! I was wary making purchase as it employs Stihl's 4-cycle powerhead -- which has remained flawless in starting, running, and meeting my cutting needs.
geo

I know you want gas but consider 20 volt max Dewalt pole saw. I use one on my 560 acre tree farm. Inexpensive (about $150 without charger or battery - new on Ebay), light weight (about 8 pounds with 2 sections -you can reach up about 11 feet, all 3 sections, 10 pounds will get you to about 14 feet). If you already have a Dewalt 20 volt max product then you don't need to buy battery or charger. They run for about an hour on a 6 Amp battery. I have a gas Echo pole pruner but it weighs 3 times as much as the Dewalt. I'm 73 years old so the Dewalt is my choice. I've used it for about 14 hours with no issues.

Thanks, guys!

I just bought my second Husqvarna. The local dealer had one that takes the same heads as the old one. Twenty years on the first and it still runs. So I have a backup now. Money well spent. Trimmer and saw. I use it year round.

You want gas but for the money, and cheaper, I'd invest in an aluminum pole saw. The Notch Sentei, 21' or 16' version might be a better answer. VERY sharp, lightweight, compacts down to about 6' and up to 21' (or 16').

One of the best tools I have and I have mutiple of them. You can also buy a lopper attachment, simply swap out the saw head and use it as a lopper.

Go to Lowe's and get a cheap 10" Kobalt and extra batteries. If you're working 3 hours a year, it will be perfect for you. Just don't beat it to death. They're not made to pry trunks apart. My neighbor just took down two oaks about a foot thick with one, and I have an 8" job I use all the time. I also have a 10" gas Echo and a 10" EGO. The Kobalt is what I naturally reach for, and I have a farm with tons of trash trees.

It looks and feels like a toy, but the cut trees and limbs don't lie.

Truth be told the ideal tool for you would be a battery powered saw. I am in the same boat but I chose a gas powered tool anyway. I went with the PPT-2620 which is overkill for my needs. I intended this as a lifetime purchase and I will never feel undergunned. Now I can help with the big pines on my family's lots in the mountains.
The attachment version is the PAS-2620 which is an attractive alternative. I have owned a few multi tools before (albeit cheaper ones) and they have drawbacks. Any tool that tries to do everything will have to make compromises.

I have the orange shaft Echo 2620 telescoping loop handle version. Heavy but very pleased with performance. Much, maybe most use has been fully or partially extended shaft. It was much better priced than other brands comparable(telescoping) models if I remember correctly. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Still have a much shorter fixed shaft(*edit-older*) Stihl but the reach of the Echo is a game changer for me.

I have a Stihl ht 100, ht 250, and an ht 131. The telescoping 131 is what I grab. The fixed tube polesaws are light but just don't give me the reach I alway seem to need. The 250 is more powerful, but the 131 has much better low end torque. You need to be up in rpm (powerband) with the 250 befor the chain touches the wood, where you can lay the chain against the limb and then pull the trigger on a 131. Like the difference between a gear drive saw and a direct drive version.

I have the orange shaft Echo 2620 telescoping loop handle version. Heavy but very pleased with performance. Much, maybe most use has been fully or partially extended shaft. It was much better priced than other brands comparable(telescoping) models if I remember correctly. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Still have a much shorter fixed shaft Stihl but the reach of the Echo is a game changer for me.
That's the same one I have. I am curious to know what you think of the loop handle. I spent a long time trying to decide between the two versions and I think the loop is the way to go.

Back