Pole saw recommendations, please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Milwaukee pole saw was in the ~$300 range. So four years of rental and you could have bought one, and then further "rentals" are "free".

My rule for tools is three times borrowing or renting, and I need to look real hard at buying my own. For $300 and something you know you'll need every year, I'd buy. I did buy.
I have a add-on chainsaw trimmer for my weedwhacker; pro working neighbor's yard offered his STIHL after he saw me struggling with my dogwood ; was like balanced butter w/ greater reach compared to fighting a tree full of monkeys. STIHL HIGHLY recommended if you have the $$

I have a add-on chainsaw trimmer for my weedwhacker; pro working neighbor's yard offered his STIHL after he saw me struggling with my dogwood ; was like balanced butter w/ greater reach compared to fighting a tree full of monkeys. STIHL HIGHLY recommended if you have the $$
I don't, I'm retired, sort of.

Thanks, guys!

I should have mentioned that I want gas. And while I like the idea of getting one capable of accepting attachments, I'd prefer to just have a dedicated pole saw.

If you have a low demand for a powered pole saw, may I suggest that you consider a high quality hand-powered pole saw. 10 years from now, you will still have a working unit, and you won't have to worry about the gas going stale, the batteries going bad, nor whether it will work when you need it.

Furthermore, a quality pole pruner will reach much higher and make better pruning cuts. My favorite saw was formerly Silky brand, but they quit making parts and new blades available in the USA, on account of lawyers and idiots that don't have enough sense to stay out of the utility wires.

In general, I'd say the Silky (when it was sharp) was easily less stress and strain to use for cutting a few branches than pulling out the Stihl power pruner. Even cutting a 4"-6" branch wasn't too much of a challenge, although the powered saws are a lot better at making an undercut. What is a huge stretch and strain to reach with a 12' long powered pole saw is a casual job with a 21' long pole saw. You may even discover that you prefer to trim those problem branches when they are young and tiny, rather than letting them grow into big branches that require removal.

Even if you decide you must have an engine on your pole saw, you still need the pole saw. When that gas powered saw gets stuck, you need a backup plan for recovering it out of the tree. That means either climbing the tree, coming up with another long saw, or getting an aerial device or ladder.

You want gas but for the money, and cheaper, I'd invest in an aluminum pole saw. The Notch Sentei, 21' or 16' version might be a better answer. VERY sharp, lightweight, compacts down to about 6' and up to 21' (or 16').

One of the best tools I have and I have mutiple of them. You can also buy a lopper attachment, simply swap out the saw head and use it as a lopper.

Best advice I've read yet in this thread.

How does the Notch brand compare to the Silky?

For occasional use I really like the lightweight blue Jameson, mmmmmm Jameson, fiberglass extension poles with the saw blade of your choice/budget mounted at the end--I like the ARS blades. The blue poles are lightweight and pretty strong as long as you don't drop anything heavy on them. I've had mine at least 5 or 6 years and although they flex a bit under great stress they haven't broken. Telescoping models can be handy but most of the time you're just carrying extra weight.

Of course all the battery tool suggestions are correct.
On the other hand... I believe we won't be able to buy these gas tools much longer. CA has already banned anything under 40cc's and the same thing has been discussed in DC.
Batteries don't last forever and the companies have a habit of changing technologies and form factors. Will new batteries still be available in 20 years for a tool you buy today?

ETA:
Its easy for me to spend other people's money.
Don't live in the Kommie State so I can and will buy whatever I want to without Newsom's input. Far as I'm concerned, Kalifornia don't exist for me. Don't ever want to go there and have no desire to anyway.

so I can and will buy whatever I want to without Newsom's input
Yeah newsom sucks but it's not just CA. There are many, many great tools that are banned everywhere in the USA regardless of which political party is governing/ruining things. I think a lot of people have never looked around at what the rest of the world has access to that is banned in the US--it's a big effen list to be sure.

Winter of '22 we had a an early heavy snowstorm after a warm fall. Most of the trees around here still had leaves on them. It was a catastrophe. Big mature trees all over Northern Nevada were just devastated. I bet the local tree guys made a mint. I will help my neighbors when I can but my manual saw broke almost right away, so that left me climbing trees with no safety gear other than hard hat and safety specs and a 40cc chainsaw. Stupid, obviously. For the trees I couldn't climb I leaned up my extension ladder and taped a sawzall to a painter's pole with a rope on the trigger.
There has to be a better way, I thought. So I resolved to have a better tool on hand for next time, which seems to be about every 5 years. A battery saw would have been ideal for 75% of what I had to limb. I see that many of the battery saws will telescope 13-15', which is good. I bet at that length they are far more controllable than my gas unit. The bastard is heavy. Fully extended to 13' it is a workout.

Stihl KM90 R. 4 Stroke, heavy SOB but man does it do well as a pole saw, I love the thing and use it a couple times a year. We have lots of mesquites and require a lot of trimming (Many to the ground). It's length gets me away from the the thorny suckers and I can cut into firewood if not too big with it. It has a weed eater attachment that I never use. If it isn't long enough you can add an extension.
I'm a fan of cordless tools, and that suits many if not most homeowners, but I'm not giving this one up.

Hope I'm on the right forum.

At any rate, I may be in the market for a pole saw. While I appreciate quality tools (I have a MS261 for instance).....I'm just a homeowner that might use a pole saw no more than 2-3 hours per year. And my budget is not high as my money is being poured into a new home build. That said, I don't want to purchase the cheapest thing out there either. I just want to make sure my limited budget goes as far as possible.

What are some recommendations?
I’m a Stihl guy so I did some research and got me a Stihl HT75, wouldn’t trade it for anything. They’re kinda rare, but definitely worth the wait. Do some research about how to check a used saw and all before you buy though.

Go to Lowe's and get a cheap 10" Kobalt and extra batteries. If you're working 3 hours a year, it will be perfect for you. Just don't beat it to death. They're not made to pry trunks apart. My neighbor just took down two oaks about a foot thick with one, and I have an 8" job I use all the time. I also have a 10" gas Echo and a 10" EGO. The Kobalt is what I naturally reach for, and I have a farm with tons of trash trees.

It looks and feels like a toy, but the cut trees and limbs don't lie.
Are you talking the 24v or 40v Kobalt? I have Kobalt 24v tools already, but I'm wondering if 24v will be enough for the pole saw. I've got old apple trees and some big white pines that need attention. Thanks.

You can definitely do better than Kobalt if you want to spend more, but it is amazing what I have done with that little 24V saw. And the fact that it's cheaply made makes it light.

Are you talking the 24v or 40v Kobalt? I have Kobalt 24v tools already, but I'm wondering if 24v will be enough for the pole saw. I've got old apple trees and some big white pines that need attention. Thanks.
I have the super-cheap 24V. I paid $99 for a saw, battery, and charger. My neighbor has the 40V job. My EGO is a multi-tool motor with a pole saw head. Considerably heavier and sturdier.

I ran into a fellow who showed me his EGO lawn mower. I was impressed, although I didn't get to test it in any thick grass. It seemed well made, although still "homeowner" quality. I've never tried or even seen any other of their power tools.

We use the 40 volt. It is way better than the Black and Decker it replaced.

At least go to Home Depot if not an independent hardware store. Lowe's is terrible and Kobalt is junk.
I cannot agree with you on that. We have a number of corded Kobalt tools as well as various 24v, 40v and 80v cordless. All have performed well; way better than B&D and even better than some of the Dewalt products. My son is a building contractor employee, and he uses Kobalt exclusively. So does his boss. They earn a living with these tools. They won't replace gas-powered chainsaws for heavy work but are way more convenient for occasional light work.

Of course all the battery tool suggestions are correct.
On the other hand... I believe we won't be able to buy these gas tools much longer. CA has already banned anything under 40cc's and the same thing has been discussed in DC.
Batteries don't last forever and the companies have a habit of changing technologies and form factors. Will new batteries still be available in 20 years for a tool you buy today?

ETA:
Its easy for me to spend other people's money.
NOPE, you will have to buy the newest, greatest etc.!

Latest posts

Back