Poulan 2150 ready for bar/chain replacement. Suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys! Going to make a short question long as this is partially a follow-up to prove your help here on this board goes to good use. :msp_wink:

I'm digging up this old thread as it relates to my latest concern. Since my last post to this thread 2 1/2 years ago the bar, chain and spur replacements to the saw have proven very worthwhile. I've taken down a few 40+ footers along with numerous smaller trees. Over that period of time my chain sharpening abilities have been honed and I replaced a faulty oiler.

I last purchased a combo of 14" Arbormax bar and WoodsmanPro chain (WLP 30LP52). After a few swipes of the file from time to time she still spits out nice big shavings when cutting green wood. Recently though, I just dug out a maple stump (with 20' of trunk) that had been topped by weather a couple years ago. The wood is now quite seasoned and the saw is having a difficult time getting through it, bad enough that after completing one cut through a 12" section I gave up.

As I'm ready for a new blade anyhow I was wondering what style chain I should consider buying. Full-Chisel, Semi-Chisel, Safety, etc.? Locally I find myself cutting maple, pine, locust, cherry, and a bit of oak. Also, with this fairly anemic saw and a 14" bar I can say I've never experienced any adverse effects such as kick-back or chip jamming using the original chain or the WoodsmanPro. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Sheesh, I just noticed it seems prices have risen considerably. The chain/bar combo was $15 when I bought it just over two years ago from Bailey's, it's now doubled to $30! Anyhow, unless it is suggested otherwise I feel a chain is my only need at the moment.

Cheers!

In my experience
Full Chisel will cut alot faster, but will dull and you will not cut any more.
Semi Chisel, will cut slower but can still cut when dull.
Safety chain? No experience.
As you know the sharper you keep your chain the better and longer your saw will last/cut.
I would get Semi Chisel for dirty cutting, and Full Chisel for bucking logs, or felling.

In my experience...

...I would get Semi Chisel for dirty cutting, and Full Chisel for bucking logs, or felling.
Appreciate the good info!

I just noticed it looks like my question is pretty much moot. Seems the only cutter type option for this 3/8" LP chain is semi chisel. Only true options are safety/guard link or null. I'll be going null, should provide a bit more aggressiveness.

If a standard 3/8" chain could be used there would be additional cutter type options but I have yet to enlighten myself as to the interchangeability, if any, between "low profile" and "standard".

Cheers!

The only chisel chain made in 3/8 LP is the new Stihl 63PS3. I is sort of a "safety" chain, but not a really bad one - meaning that it is very good for crosscutting, but not for bore-cutting.

One more think, remember to flip the bar regularly, to even the wear - and file away any "wire-edges".

Not to hijack this post, but I need a new bar for my 2150. I'm fine putting a little cash into it since it's my main limbing saw and it always fires right up. My question is, what is the difference between these two from Oregon?

Back