Poulan 245a question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoseJimenez

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am hoping someone here might give me a little help please.

I have a vintage Poulan 245a chainsaw that belonged to my recently deceased cousin. I found it in his shop and thanks to hurricane Helene (which just had a field day in the Upstate of South Carolina, where I live) I have many trees to clean up. The 245 works perfect and thankfully will handle the bigger trees I have. The one problem I found is that the gas cap leaks a LOT. There is a small orifice - I presume a breather.

Does anyone know of a compatible gas cap I can order that I can use on this chainsaw? Any help would be highly appreciated...

Thank you @cbfarmall.

I did see a star washer still lodged in the hole. But I am having a hell of a time finding a) what the proper name is for that washer and b) what size to use. I would like to know because if I bugger up the one I have, I want to know what to replace it with.

And I am talking about the star washer as shown in this picture:

Attachments

• 1728243578653.png
    1728243578653.png
    11.6 MB
They are pretty tough, I doubt you'll mess it up. Use an o-ring pick but don't lose it.

It looks like an external star lock washer but is made out of spring steel or something.

Here is the repaired gas cap. You can find the duckbill checkvalves very cheap and plentiful on eBay. I bought a baggie full for a few bucks.
Second photo has a closeup of the retainer in place - I used a small deep socket and tapped it in place. Doesn't take much, and it will seat and keep the little green valve in place.
Replaced the o-ring with a new one while I was at it. Cap works like new.

Attachments

• IMG_8631.jpg
    IMG_8631.jpg
    190.4 KB
  • IMG_8629.jpg
    IMG_8629.jpg
    192.6 KB
Nice. You may find other uses for those duckbills. They fit over 1/8 tubing. Lots of old saws have defective vents that parts are long since obsolete. These duckbills can be used to make substitutes. Also, some oiler check valves.

Back