Poulan 54

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old dude 0116

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all!

New here but have been lurking for quite some time. I just picked up a pretty decent Poulan 54 with the 20" bar. I plan to use this as the powerhead for a chainsaw mill in the future as it seems pretty powerful but heavy to lug around.

I am looking for a chain tensioner as the one that came in it is damaged. Any ideas where I might find one? I would like to locate one before I attempt making one. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

Welcome. I have a Poulan Super 68, looks just like yours. It is a heavy beast. Mine has a 31" bar. As much as I tell folks to find a quality old saw to start milling, like the Homelite Super 1050 in my avatar, I don't think your 54 will be the best choice. I just checked and like mine, yours calls for half inch chain. It's not made anymore. Sometimes you see it on ebay for as much as $1-$2 per link. If you happen to have a 100' roll of it, you could probably trade it for a nice milling saw.

As far as parts, go to the menu and scroll down to the "chainsaw" forum, at the top of that page you will see "chainsaw stickies". Click on that, there is a Poulan specific forum there, some one might have a parts saw.

My brother in law lives in the Boardman/Youngstown area, where are you located?

Oops, I was just on the milling forum and forgot I jumped over to chainsaws. You are where you need to be.

Welcome. I have a Poulan Super 68, looks just like yours. It is a heavy beast. Mine has a 31" bar. As much as I tell folks to find a quality old saw to start milling, like the Homelite Super 1050 in my avatar, I don't think your 54 will be the best choice. I just checked and like mine, yours calls for half inch chain. It's not made anymore. Sometimes you see it on ebay for as much as $1-$2 per link. If you happen to have a 100' roll of it, you could probably trade it for a nice milling saw.

As far as parts, go to the menu and scroll down to the "chainsaw" forum, at the top of that page you will see "chainsaw stickies". Click on that, there is a Poulan specific forum there, some one might have a parts saw.

My brother in law lives in the Boardman/Youngstown area, where are you located?

Oops, I was just on the milling forum and forgot I jumped over to chainsaws. You are where you need to be.
I'm in the Heartville/Canton area! Thanks for the advice.
Would it be plausible to convert the chain drive? It seems like a new bar and sprocket would do the trick?
The thing is a heavy beast for sure! I love fixing up ond stuff so even if it never gets mounted on a mill, I'll at least have fun messing with it!

Yeah, that might be doable. I had my 68 out playing with it today. I'll take a look at the clutch on it tomorrow. It's already an 063 bar, so you could switch to 404-063. All you would need is a 404 sprocket. That is if it's a hard nose, if it's a sprocket nose, that sprocket would have to be changed too. Try the Poulan stickie up top of the page. That's where the die hard collectors will be.

Yeah, that might be doable. I had my 68 out playing with it today. I'll take a look at the clutch on it tomorrow. It's already an 063 bar, so you could switch to 404-063. All you would need is a 404 sprocket. That is if it's a hard nose, if it's a sprocket nose, that sprocket would have to be changed too. Try the Poulan stickie up top of the page. That's where the die hard collectors will be.
It is a hard nose bar. I appreciate the advice. I'll go to the stickies too. Do I just post a reply to that thread? It has like 54k replies.

I mostly collect big Homelites, but this has become one of my favorite saws. I picked it up at a farm auction 3-4 months ago for $40. Then I found an old saw shop that had 2 rolls of Oregon#10 chain, that's the 1/2 inch stuff it takes. He wouldn't sell me a roll. I think he felt sorry for me and cut me a loop for $30.
XGX5TJQ.jpg

I mostly collect big Homelites, but this has become one of my favorite saws. I picked it up at a farm auction 3-4 months ago for $40. Then I found an old saw shop that had 2 rolls of Oregon#10 chain, that's the 1/2 inch stuff it takes. He wouldn't sell me a roll. I think he felt sorry for me and cut me a loop for $30.
XGX5TJQ.jpg
That's a nice unit!

I just saw a for sale listing by shortfuze82 for Poulan Super 33 NOS clutch drums. Are you familiar with Acres chainsaw collector corner? He lists virtually every saw ever made. Has good details on most. The Super 33 didn't list what chain it takes. The saw looked different than the 54 and 68.

XGX5TJQ.jpg
How do you like the big chain? You cutting firewood with that 100 lb saw?
I was looking at some other specimens of this saw and came across the bow saw. That looks like a better way to cut wood on the ground for sure.

I just saw a for sale listing by shortfuze82 for Poulan Super 33 NOS clutch drums. Are you familiar with Acres chainsaw collector corner? He lists virtually every saw ever made. Has good details on most. The Super 33 didn't list what chain it takes. The saw looked different than the 54 and 68.
Not familiar... Do you have a link?

That's a nice unit!
Thanks, I am retired from a 4th generation tree service. I had most of my Dad's old saws. In a temper tantrum I sold all of them, about 20 years ago. Now, I'm trying to put together a collection of all of our old saws, and I keep finding cool ones everywhere I go. These are just two shelves in the garage.
FMFniqF.jpg

Latest posts

Back