power pruners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sproston

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I Know there's a better way !! By just a few reasons that I don't really like my HT75 however, as for now can't live with out it!!
SOUND FAMILIAR

I like it better than the echo (ANYONE?)

I like Husqvarna's bakpack style hydrolic (hy-dollar)powerpruner.
never used one

but don't some buckett trucks use air saws ? why not
lighter , it's ok to bend (unlike HT75),and who dosent want an air compressor on the job, should be extendable .

Do they have enough torq ?

where can i get one ?

how big a B & C ? P.S. MINI BOW BAR

are they gear underdrive?

How do they oil?
rpm's?

:D

I use My HT75 in My bucket a lot less expensive that Hydr Saws Plus should it ever get Hung in a falling branch you could let go at not have to worry about your Hydro system Blowing out 50' in the air! Air Tools Dunno never used them. :blob2:

If you want the hydraulic setup, call ANY tree company that has a bucket truck. 3 out of 4 will have a barely-used hydraulic setup in the shop somewhere. I've worked for several places that had them, never used one.

What don't you like about your HT75? Besides getting bar oil all over the head every time you try to fill up that tiny opening? Or trying to figure a place to store it on the truck?

the ht75 never idled correct and groundies always tweak aluminum shaft also heavy by end of 10 hr day .
how about that mini bow bar ?? it could happen :rolleyes:
hy drolic has more torqe ,do you mean companyes have them and dont like to use them?

sproston

HT75

It does not like to be pushed or forced, but we never do that with any chainsaw, DO WE?
I have one operator that twists a shaft every year. I have only replaced them in his unit and 1 other.
Did the dealer do anything about the idle? I have repaired a few, nozzle jet is most likley.

I don`t know of any air powered pole saws but that doesn`t mean they don`t exist. I also don`t know of any modern bucket trucks that aren`t equiped with hydraulic outlets on the bucket, but that doesn`t mean they don`t exist either. Having hydraulics on the bucket is easy and a natural extension when you consider the motive force for the bucket. An air motor for a saw or piston arrangement for a pruner would have to be very large to be effective at normal compressor output pressures and you would need a very large volume of air for continuous operation. Then you would need a high capacity air dryer and oiler so you don`t damage the tool. Hydraulic is the way to go since all the necessary equipment is already on the truck. As far as losing your hydraulics 50' in the air, breakaway couplers are the answer. Russ

I've run alot of air tools for a long time,never paid to much attention to air driers (R they worth it ?), and have heard of Air
saws ,and air power pruners(never seen one ).
I would like to build one out of a gear driven air angle grinder 11,000 R.P.M. 6 C.F.M., 3 lbs. , if i cant source one.
A little HELP to find one would be greatly apreaciated ?
I 'm not that good with computers, trying though
I dont think there would be much torque with air.
,I'm sure my air compressor on wheels can handle it with a 30 gal tank, 5.5 Honda .
Has any one expierenced the husqvarna PS 50 back pack hydrolic
pto 50 cc's ? how'd ya like it ? torQie ? durable? Any problems?
I know they were expensive ($2200 ?) and had some attachments (loppers, clips, bypass & anvil,and a jack).
thanx,

Sproston

O.K. O.K. seriously if the mini bow bar on a HT75 dosn't
work how about a walkerized air hammer with an axe head attached to a broom stick ??
any one wanna race ?
If you neeeeed to reach 20' bust out the drywall stilts :laugh:
I have spikes JB welded to the springs on mine

tie ing one on , don't hold this post against me

Air Dryers and Compressors

Hi Sproston, yeah air dryers are very important for pnuematic tool longevity. Consider the large volume of air you want to compress, you mentioned 6 cubic feet per minute, and all the water vapor potentially in that air. The water as I understand it does a few nasty things to your tools. First, being non-compressable, it acts as an abrasive on the internals of the tool, second, it also is reputed to scrub the oil off the close tolerance surfaces inside the tool. These may be old wives tales, and not the true reasons water destroys tools, I can`t prove or disprove them, but I can tell you from experience that air tools run on dry air last longer. An everyday use quality air tool with sufficient torque for the job is going to be expensive. I bought and Ingersoll Rand reciprocating saw back about '90, and my discounted price was $1100 + tax, retail was around $1700 I think. If you want an illustration of how much moisture is in undried air, try running a pressure feed sandblaster with undried air. You won`t run it for very long unless you are somewhere like Arizona, the discharge hose will plug with packed up sand. I don`t know about your compressor, but I believe the rule of thumb is that a 5hp gas driven compressor is normally equivalent to a 2hp electric, and 6cfm @ 90 psi would be a stretch. The 30 gal tk you have would give you an initial flow advantage over my Emglo with the hotdog tanks, but ultimately in a continuos run scenario, which active pruning probably is, your limiting factor is the amount of flow the compressor with no tank is capable of. Just my three cents. Russ

Forgot to mention, that I-R recip saw is rated at around 20scfm if memory serves me. That`s alot of air! Russ

Back