Pro Mac 10-10S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabriel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just had a McCulloch Pro Mac 10-10S fall in my lap. It's in very good shape and runs like a wild animal....Father in Heaven this thing is loud!

Anyway, after the saw gets warm it will set my right hand on fire! At first I thought it had a loose muffler...hence the noice but no, that's all in order, both screens in place and all tight.
The compression relief is right next to my right index knuckle and I am suspect that it leaks. It has NO lack of power and runs every bit as strong as my old MS391.

I have read where people tap to different size to use (Echo?) relief valve...I was thinking of just plugging it. I'm 'less inclined' to track down the McCulloch part which probably costs a pretty penny.
Thoughts? I kinda like this saw despite it's weight and ridiculous noise :). I only cut firewood logs delivered to my work area next to the barn....I do NOT fell trees so the weight is a positive for a straight down cut. For the short amount of time I can run it, it's a little monster.

The compression release is 94272, the washer under it is 85505/214765. It is not normal for those saws to throw a lot of heat into your throttle hand, I'd keep looking to see if something else is amiss. It could be the muffler has rusted out. Operating without the compression release can put the starter at risk if the compression is strong.

Mark

I need to take the cover off and give it a good cleaning anyway, I will go deeper and remove the muffler completely...it's entirely possible I missed something.

I (half-heartedly) media blasted the muffler to look for holes...this one is solid.
Gasket stuck to the block and was in great shape..Got it all back together tight and proper.....what i did notice, one metric crap-ton of greasy sawdust mud packed in there tight. The cooling fins were packed...took me an hour to get it all out. Anybody oughta be ashamed to let their tools get that bad. I have to wonder if all the stars were in perfect alignment and the cooling fan could only force air through about where my throttle hand was. Maybe not. The center hole also caught my attention as a possible leak but despite it's appearance, the screw is not sloppy. Either way, that really needed cleaning out. I'll go run it again and see what happens. ....now, what about this little screen? For arresting sparks I assume? I cleaned it best I could and put it back but I was sorely tempted to leave it out.

20241017_104959.jpg20241017_105523.jpg

Back