Problem with my Jon cutter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Help Wanted

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
In need of advice. Just replaced cylinder and piston. Left bar and chain off and ran 2 tank Fulls of 25 to1 mix through it. Put chain and bar back on. Fires up great and screams with throttle pressed. Problem is it will not idle. It slows and dies after a few seconds of releasing throttle. Tried adjusting the low on carb with no change.

Why did it need a P/C? Did you replace seals and check intake air boot? Any work/cleaning of carb done?

Carb or air leak. Pres/vac test is a good place to start before it fries another piston.
Piston and cylinder were scored no compression. My guess is it was running to lean. Going to pull the carb and inspect / clean. Replace seals and give it another try. I ran without chain and bar at idle to break in piston and cylinder. It ran at a very low rpm with 25 to 1 mix.

Just had it apart again. Piston and cylinder great shape, very good compression. Carb is clean and seals are also looking good. I adjusted carb per directions. H 1-3/8, L-1-1/4.

Piston and cylinder were scored no compression. My guess is it was running to lean. Going to pull the carb and inspect / clean. Replace seals and give it another try. I ran without chain and bar at idle to break in piston and cylinder. It ran at a very low rpm with 25 to 1 mix.
There isn't a worse way to break in a two cycle motor than to do what you did.

Ok I get it. 2 YouTube pros with 25 years of experience and own their own shops are incorrect. Please refrain from your comments if you have no problem-solving advice!! Thanks

In need of advice. Just replaced cylinder and piston. Left bar and chain off and ran 2 tank Fulls of 25 to1 mix through it. Put chain and bar back on. Fires up great and screams with throttle pressed. Problem is it will not idle. It slows and dies after a few seconds of releasing throttle. Tried adjusting the low on carb with no change.
You have a fuel delivery problem to the cylinder, it will need you to figure it out on your end, no amount of guessing from members will fix it on here.

Ok I get it. 2 YouTube pros with 25 years of experience and own their own shops are incorrect. Please refrain from your comments if you have no problem-solving advice!! Thanks

Youtube is as reliable as Wiki and the MSM for reliable information. Still believe in "safe and effective" too?

He probably has an air leak and will likely seize it again.
Um it never seized to begin with!!! Read my original post!! I tested it for air leak and no leaks!! I believe it is a combination of carb adjustment and a new clutch spring. Turns out you really know your stuff !! NOT!!!!

Um it never seized to begin with!!! Read my original post!! I tested it for air leak and no leaks!! I believe it is a combination of carb adjustment and a new clutch spring. Turns out you really know your stuff !! NOT!!!!
You said it seized....and you didn't say you pressure and vac tested it.

You really don't know your stuff or you wouldn't be asking the basic questions you have.
Of course if you knew squat you wouldn't have bought a chicom chainsaw.

If it is not getting fuel on the idle circuit it will stall, an air leak usually still allows enough fuel for idle but it will be a high idle that can be masked out most times by richening up the H and L settings. I have worked on many air leaking saws that still ran but overly fast and lean sounding. A plugged up idle circuit in the carb will not allow the engine enough fuel to idle at all no matter where the screws are set.

he is 100% correct here, do some research on breaking in engines. idling is bad and load is what sets your rings.

a lot of people think they can idle it for awhile or a couple tanks and then put it under have load and it will be the same as running it under load to start with but it's not as studies have shown there is a window for proper break in and if you do it wrong then performance will be less even if it's not by a whole lot.

Latest posts

Back