Proof That Wildlife is Runoff By Logging Operations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
BABIES!!! And they walked my way this morning. But they didn't hold still for pictures. I was walking up the edge of a cutting strip. I was not quiet, the twigs are dry and I crunched. One baby came walking over like he/she thought I might be Mama, and then went back and returned with sibling baby.
The cutter had to shoo them out of his strip. Later on, I ran into them again down in a no-cut area. They weren't as tame. Here's the best I got. Had to use the BRIGHT editing thing.
attachment.php

This is a day of the living dead scary fawn! Those blank eyes!
attachment.php

They are blacktails.

Thanks for the pics, Slowp!

The following pic is from a trail camera located about 65 yards from where we have been bucking and splitting firewood the last couple of weeks.

attachment.php

Nice Slowp,

Here's a couple of a youngster hangin out in my backyard by the sundial. I took these a couple months ago and she's been living out in the back 40(and out of my garden). I just see her here and there and again yesterday and what a difference a few months make! Way bigger! Must be all that nice kale, rappini and lettuce. :clap:
attachment.php

attachment.php

an old hunters trick is to hunt in woods that have been freshly cut. Ive been told by a few old guys to bring a saw hunting with me. turn it on leave it on a stump to idle and sit back and watch. the deer come out to see what the wood cutter is going to cut down that day, wait for the tops after he leaves and get a free meal. My father followed a logger in one day on the skidder, he said around 60 deer came out of the woods to wait for him to drop a tree.

an old hunters trick is to hunt in woods that have been freshly cut. Ive been told by a few old guys to bring a saw hunting with me. turn it on leave it on a stump to idle and sit back and watch. the deer come out to see what the wood cutter is going to cut down that day, wait for the tops after he leaves and get a free meal. My father followed a logger in one day on the skidder, he said around 60 deer came out of the woods to wait for him to drop a tree.

Lots of bigs birds want to see what you are about to chase out.

Deer are curious and sneeky. When you leave after doing just about anything in the woods they come to check out what youve done. After all its their living room. Youd be curious if the couch was missing in yours wouldnt you.

blacktails are funny,I have a deer trail right below my deck with several does and a few nice bucks coming through on a regular basis.they seem to pay no mind to their brethern being cooked on the grill. I love to hunt them in the woods and rarely get one every year.

We are thinning an "overmature" Christmas tree plantation and have fresh deer tracks in the landing every morning. When we first moved in about 3 weeks ago there was no deer sign anywhere. This stand is dog hair thick and the outer ring of trees have green limbs all the way to the ground. Saying it's hard to walk thru would be the understatement of the year. When we are done this should be 50 acres of prime blacktail habitat.

It's not just deer either, running a Cat up North in the woods is like Bear bait according to a large land owner and native up their. I don't remember if he said anything about running a saw but assume it definitely wakes up critters and gets their minds thinking. I have seen rubs in trees just off the opening our cabin sits in, after we've been up there working for a few days that weren't there before. Interesting part is we have/had a God forsaken wolf den on our property not far from that and we all know that wolves scare deer away at the very least. Hunting is always best for the next three or so years after an area has been cut/cleared.

I had the mill on a landing this week and had 6 dear check it out and a bobcat. All came walking right to it and passed with in 40 ft. with the mill running full speed back and forth.

Had another job that I had to shoo the elk away from the mill each morning to to get started.

I'm not seeing many of these this year. I wonder if the snow took a toll on their population?
attachment.php

Then I almost speared a frog today with my caulks. Ick.:eek:

Did you buy that slug at Costco or were you just changing its batteries. The slugs around here are soooo big they run on D batteries. Uhmm, tenderized flatened frog.

PS I actually really enjoy your pics, just givin you an elbow in the ribs.

Well, he, she, it, was on it's way to shrinking up the way they do. Actually, until it heard the camera noise, it was the size of a lantern battery. And I had just loaned that battery out to one of the cutters so he could find trees to cut. I had to switch to a tiny flashlight. It is always dark and stormy here.
Don't move here.

Back