Pulling Stilh MS270 cylinder/piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diymarketing

Reaction score
I have a 20+ year old Stihl MS270 chainsaw. After changing out the coil and carb, still no start so I invested in a Mityvac compression tester. Got about 120 psi, which from what I have seen, is probably the culprit. I am trying to remove the top end and find the 4 T25 bolts to be resistant to my efforts. Usng a drill/driver. Tried a little heat to see if that would help, assumng there is threadlocker on the bolts, but no success. Looking for any advice to disassembly. Thx

Try a T-handle T27. With luck, the T25 didn't FUBAR the bolt. A good T-handle gives better control and more feedback than s drill/driver.
Try a T-handle T27. With luck, the T25 didn't FUBAR the bolt. A good T-handle gives better control and more feedback than s drill/driver.
Thanks much! Thought it was a T25. Will be getting a T27.

Thanks Stihltech. For a non-expert I always find the diagnoses to be the hard part. I have taken off the exhaust and can see the piston, but not sure what it should look like. Piston does not seem to have obvious scoring, but perhaps a bright light would show some defects. Is there something in the port I should be looking for?

I assume from your comments a vacuum tester and a pressure tester is different from a compression tester and I will look into those tools. I am no tfamilair with them.

I thought 120 psi was a bit low. It won't start. Spark tester shows spark. New carb and injecting fuel into cylinder does not get it running. Learning as I go and know I can get this running again.

A pressure/vacuum tester gives you the readings of the crankcase. It will detect bad crank seals or other leaks. A compression tester only tests the cylinder compression. You can have great cylinder compression but it won’t run or run badly if the crank seals are bad.

L8R,
Matt

Back