Rare vintage chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buzz always does fantastic work.:clap:

Really! that saw looks amazing.

I have the sandblaster and paint gun and air compressor now but im really worried that im going to try to paint my saws as my first go with a spray gun and massively screw them up....

I guess since i have the blast cabinet i could always blast them and start over again, but that would be a waste of time and money. My dad was a professional auto body repair man and painter for 25 years and i kind of wish i had listened and learned more when i was around that stuff. I do remember that there were about a million things that could go wrong with a paint job and everything had to go right...

I think my biggest problem is setting my expectations too high after seeing buzz's saws and getting an idea in my head of what i want mine to look like when they're done.

Really! that saw looks amazing.

I have the sandblaster and paint gun and air compressor now but im really worried that im going to try to paint my saws as my first go with a spray gun and massively screw them up....

I guess since i have the blast cabinet i could always blast them and start over again, but that would be a waste of time and money. My dad was a professional auto body repair man and painter for 25 years and i kind of wish i had listened and learned more when i was around that stuff. I do remember that there were about a million things that could go wrong with a paint job and everything had to go right...

I think my biggest problem is setting my expectations too high after seeing buzz's saws and getting an idea in my head of what i want mine to look like when they're done.

Be DAMN careful when blasting these magnesium parts. They're very soft. Choose your media and your pressures carefully. Also, don't use steel wire wheels/brushes on mag, as you'll embed steel into the mag and bring about more corrosion. Get something (primer) on that freshly blasted mag ASAP as it will start corroding quickly.

Be DAMN careful when blasting these magnesium parts. They're very soft. Choose your media and your pressures carefully. Also, don't use steel wire wheels/brushes on mag, as you'll embed steel into the mag and bring about more corrosion. Get something (primer) on that freshly blasted mag ASAP as it will start corroding quickly.

Good advice, the primer needs to be made especially for bonding to magnesium (not aluminum) or it won't stick.

I have a blasting cabinet that i need to set up this week. Also, i bought a fair amount of aluminum oxide blasting media in 70 grit and some glass bead blasting media in 80 grit.

With how soft this magnesium is im thinking that i wont even be able to use the aluminum oxide right?

Should i just stick with the glass bead or go to something less aggressive like crushed walnut or something?

Also, where are yall buying your paint for these things? Im thinking just go to NAPA and see what they recommend right?

Last edited:
My dad was a professional auto body repair man and painter for 25 years and i kind of wish i had listened and learned more when i was around that stuff. I do remember that there were about a million things that could go wrong with a paint job and everything had to go right...

Somebody tried to teach you and you didn't listen, sounds familiar. :cheers:

Stihl-MS-029-Super-641317.jpg

These rare vintage beauties go for big money too.

You guys all think he is joking, but the 029/039 with flip caps is actually a pretty uncommon saw. The caps are different colors too, so no swapping an MS-290 tank on there. Are they worth anything more? Probably not. For a while there was discussion as to wether they actually existed or not. Yes, I am an 029 Super nerd.

I have a blasting cabinet that i need to set up this week. Also, i bought a fair amount of aluminum oxide blasting media in 70 grit and some glass bead blasting media in 80 grit.

With how soft this magnesium is im thinking that i wont even be able to use the aluminum oxide right?

Should i just stick with the glass bead or go to something less aggressive like crushed walnut or something?

Also, where are yall buying your paint for these things? Im thinking just go to NAPA and see what they recommend right?

I've found AL Ox to be too coarse, especially on mag. I use the #80 glass bead. Honestly, I don't use primer - just get the color coat on as soon as it's blasted and haven't had peeling problems. Some use two part paints, I just go with the standard rattle can but while the 3rd color coat is still very tacky, I add a coat or two of clear poly to give it depth and gas resistance.

Cylinders are glass beaded, then gently scrubbed with a fine brass brush to bring back some of the shine.

Here is an old chainsaw i purchased at an estate sale. Any idea how old it might be?

Attachments

• 20200530_111039.jpg
    20200530_111039.jpg
    3.8 MB
  • 20200530_111100.jpg
    20200530_111100.jpg
    3.7 MB
  • 20200530_111129.jpg
    20200530_111129.jpg
    2.7 MB

Latest posts

Back