Redwood trim/prune - Thoroughly Confused

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DT_Fremont

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks in advanced for your help.

I live in SF Bay Area in CA and have 3 redwood trees growing in a line in my front yard. The two on the ends are about 80 ft and the middle one is about 60 ft. (these numbers are my guesses). End-to-end distance between the two large redwood is about 30 ft so the middle one is being squished and a bit skinnier. I was told the trees are healthy (buds growing on the end of the leaves, no fungus at root, green color looks ok/good). Some of the inner branch of the outer tree is growing sideways toward the sun because of interference with the middle tree. I have been here for 10 years and never trimmed the tree except to remove some (not a lot) of low hanging branches. I am worried about high winds causing the trees to fall so I asked a few certified arborists for recommendations and I am thoroughly confused. One recommends to do nothing except to remove some low hanging branches to increase clearance from the roof because the trees have not been trimmed before and he says the trees are healthy and the three trees are supporting each other and the roots are likely intermingled now. One recommends removing the middle tree because it is in the way of the other two trees and to prune the other two trees to reduce wind resistance. One recommends to remove the middle tree but don't grind the stump to avoid risk of damaging the root of the other two trees. So I am thoroughly confused because they all sound plausible. Please help!

Hi, Thanks in advanced for your help.

I live in SF Bay Area in CA and have 3 redwood trees growing in a line in my front yard. The two on the ends are about 80 ft and the middle one is about 60 ft. (these numbers are my guesses). End-to-end distance between the two large redwood is about 30 ft so the middle one is being squished and a bit skinnier. I was told the trees are healthy (buds growing on the end of the leaves, no fungus at root, green color looks ok/good). Some of the inner branch of the outer tree is growing sideways toward the sun because of interference with the middle tree. I have been here for 10 years and never trimmed the tree except to remove some (not a lot) of low hanging branches. I am worried about high winds causing the trees to fall so I asked a few certified arborists for recommendations and I am thoroughly confused. One recommends to do nothing except to remove some low hanging branches to increase clearance from the roof because the trees have not been trimmed before and he says the trees are healthy and the three trees are supporting each other and the roots are likely intermingled now. One recommends removing the middle tree because it is in the way of the other two trees and to prune the other two trees to reduce wind resistance. One recommends to remove the middle tree but don't grind the stump to avoid risk of damaging the root of the other two trees. So I am thoroughly confused because they all sound plausible. Please help!
I answered you here:
https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...wood-trees-or-not-thoroughly-confused.376618/

No need to start another thread. Be patient and a pro will see it eventually.

Back