Removing 15 Oak Stumps: Best Way?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Bunions

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had around 15 oaks cut. I would like to have the stumps torn out or ground or whatever. Ripping them out would be better because I could move them away and fill the holes easily, and they would be out of my hair forever.

Any idea what kind of ballpark figure I could expect to pay in North Central Florida? I would say the biggest tree was about two feet thick at chest height, and from there they go down progressively to a cherry tree about 10" thick.

A buddy of mine says to rent an excavator. Best I can do is about 6 tons around here. Can I expect to move these things in a day with a tool like that?

It would be nice to have a skid steer with a stump bucket, but I don't think people in this area know they exist.

You can certainly dig them out with a 6 ton mini but it’ll take a while. I own a Deere 60D (7 ton how it’s setup) and a Cat 330. The 60D will do 18” and smaller stumps depending on species but that 330 will dig out a 3’ oak in 10 minutes. If you’re renting a machine any size will do just about any job, it’ll just take a while.

Also have a Bobcat S300 and a Notch brush puller that’ll easily take down anything 8” or less. It’s a wonderful toy to have.
2023-11-07 09.42.06.jpeg

I'd rent a stump grinder and grind them 10-12 inches below grade myself. I've ground bigger and smaller than yours but then I do own a stump grinder. You can rent one pretty reasonable and... no holes to back fill, no root ball to dispose of and no, they won't ever come back either.

I don't know if I can find a stump grinder big enough to do it fast. I see them around 30 HP in this area, and that would be incredibly slow.

I just found out the local Kubota dealer will rent an 8.5-ton excavator for $650 per day, plus the hidden charges the site doesn't mention, whatever they are. For $1600, I could rent for a week and give this place a real makeover. I have some boulders I want to tear out. That sounds like money well spent.

I don't mind filling holes or burning stumps. No big deal.

We have it figured out.

I'm going to wait till October when it's not as hot.

I only paid the crew for 1.5 days, so I had them get the dangerous oaks first. That means they left a few trees behind. I'll have to cut them myself. It makes no sense to cut them before renting an excavator, because it will leave me with more stumps.

I also have many tons of oak in burn piles to get rid of, so waiting will allow me to free them up.

I'll burn the piles and cut and move the remaining problem trees. Then I'll rent an excavator for two days and see if I can get an option to extend for a week. Then I'll fill the holes and burn the stumps. The excavator will be no good for filling holes because it travels so slowly, so I'll use the tractor for that.

I had around 15 oaks cut. I would like to have the stumps torn out or ground or whatever. Ripping them out would be better because I could move them away and fill the holes easily, and they would be out of my hair forever.

Any idea what kind of ballpark figure I could expect to pay in North Central Florida? I would say the biggest tree was about two feet thick at chest height, and from there they go down progressively to a cherry tree about 10" thick.

A buddy of mine says to rent an excavator. Best I can do is about 6 tons around here. Can I expect to move these things in a day with a tool like that?

It would be nice to have a skid steer with a stump bucket, but I don't think people in this area know they exist.
15 stumps will grind out in a few hours if they aren't 3 foot or more.

I have numerous pieces of Kubota equipment but no excavators but I hear they are very reliable and easy to operate. Too bad you live down in Florida and I'm up here in Michigan because I'd loan you one of my big Kubota turbocharged tractors with the stump grinder on the back for you to 'play' 100 pto horses make short work of stumps and lots of big chips as well. I find grinding stumps to actually be fun. Around here at least, tree companies charge an average of a buck an inch to grind stumps and I know because I grind chipper knives and sharpen chain loops for a couple of them. No, I don't get any deals from them and I don't give them any either.

Latest posts

Back