Repairing Stihl crankshafts??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks-

anyone have info on repairing Stihl crankshafts? I have two 064 cranks that are almost new but have part of the PTO side ( clutch ) of the shaft broken off. Most machinists don't want to mess with welding and machining a new shaft because it just won't hold up. I have extra 064 cranks that have bad bearings in them, that could be used to patch the good ones together. Does anyone know of a place that will tackle this job? A new crank from Stihl is $260.00! yikes!

Maybe you can post in the want adds

Ask for a new/used crank. I am sure someone on here has one for less.

Don

bwalker is perfectly correct, it would be very unwise to attempt to fix one of these. Of course it is physically possible, but correct re heat treat would be the big problem.

If I were going to attempt it; I believe I would attempt to turn a clean under sized shoulder and then braze on a turned endpiece and then finish machine that but you still got the re heat treat problem. I would never try to weld anything on there.

If rods, big end rod bearings and crank pins can be bought from stihl as parts its a fairly simple process to rebuild the crank. I have done it at work for MX bike cranks. Like I said before I have no idea if stihl will sell you these parts. If you cant get the parts from stihl dont mess with it. It will be cheaper for you to buy the part from stihl than what a quality machine shop would charge you to build a servicable piece. There is alot of engineering that goes into something as simple as acrank.

Latest posts

Back