Replacing Zama carb that has connection to purge bulb (C1Q-S84B) by a Walbro (WT-215) for MS250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMFoF

Reaction score
I’m having big problems with my MS250 unable to idle (but I can start on high idle setting and it still cuts fine at full throttle), so I’d like to try a new carb.
It seems very difficult to get my hands on a straight OEM replacement in Australia (if anybody in Aus has tips for a homeowner like me on getting Stihl parts, please fire away), plus I’ve seen in other threads that people say the Walbro is a better option.

So if I was to replace the Zama on my MS250 which has the purge bulb and decompression valve with the wt-215, my question is - can I do this? And if so, how do I make it work and do I need to buy any other parts?

I’m having big problems with my MS250 unable to idle (but I can start on high idle setting and it still cuts fine at full throttle), so I’d like to try a new carb.
It seems very difficult to get my hands on a straight OEM replacement in Australia (if anybody in Aus has tips for a homeowner like me on getting Stihl parts, please fire away), plus I’ve seen in other threads that people say the Walbro is a better option.

So if I was to replace the Zama on my MS250 which has the purge bulb and decompression valve with the wt-215, my question is - can I do this? And if so, how do I make it work and do I need to buy any other parts?

Hey,
Before you even go to Stihl, have you tried resetting the carb to factory settings? Ask @ray benson for a manual and an IPL, and follow the instructions in that. If you've tried that to no avail, have you tried contacting your local Stihl dealer? Easy as a google search "Stihl dealer in *location*". You should be able to send them an email, ask for a quote and provide your carb part number or what your carb is and ask for a new one. It may be a bit pricey, but you'll have a genuine OEM one.

However, before you jump the gun and buy a brand new carb, have you taken apart your carb and cleaned it? That should be the first step, go to your local Stihl dealer, by a carb repair set (carb gasket set) and replace all the gaskets, clean out the jets, etc... YouTube has a few good tutorials on this ("Stihl carburetor clean"). If you've cleaned it and it still doesn't work, then consider replacing your carb.

If it is too expensive (I was quoted $250aud for a ms192t carb), consider trying ebay. Make sure you use ebay.com.au if you are in aus, and set you shipping post code. Search "Stihl ms250 carburetor" and filter by used. This will have a higher chance of showing an OEM one instead of some Chinese knock off. Find one that suits your price range, and check it is the same. Postage may be a little on the pricey side from the US, but would be significant cheaper than one from Stihl.

I've never worked on an MS250, but I've worked on several other ones. This is just my 2 cents and in no way am I an authorised Stihl tech. Good luck fixing the saw!

Latest posts

Back