Rip chain questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberwolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently modified a stihl rs33 72 chain for ripping by cutting of paired top plates and round filing 7/32 the newly created scoring teeth to 30deg, the rest of the teeth were filed to 0 deg top plat angle.

Chain seems to work well, giving a smoth cut and fairly fast.

My question is would there be any advantage to putting an edge on the sides of the teeth that are filed to 0deg on the top plate (with a smaller diamiter file or handle down angle to avoid touching the top plate)? However I don't think that the sides of these teeth even contact any of the log because the teeth that are filed to 0deg are shortened back in compairison to the scoring teeth. Just seems draging a 0deg side of the tooth through the cut to be a waste, even if putting an edge on the sides just improves removal of sawdust it would be worth while. Should the scoring teeth be filed back to match the length of the 0deg cutters, wouldn't this narrow the kerf slightly and again make the sides of the 0deg cutter teeth viable for an edge and make for a smother cut?

any ideas?
thanks

Timberwolf

If you want a good ripping chain that will stay sharp longer and will resharpen easily buy a factory made ripping chain and put all your time and effort into milling wood.
You might think you`re gaining something by reworking a chain but most likely you`ll be doing more harm to the chain than good.

Latest posts

Back