roller tip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This weekend I took down an 18"dbh 65' slash pine that was just loaded with sap. I was using a fairly new oregon 20" bar and a brand new chain. The roller tip got so gummed up from the sap that it was stopping the chain while I was stump cutting it. I took the chain off, used WD40 on it and tried to work it free, but it was still very hard to rotate, I put the chain back on to hopefully power it out, and it did seem to help some. I got back into it and then threw the chain. What is good to use to free up the tip in this scenario?
Greg

Can anything be done on the spot? (not soaking overnight)
Thanks!
Greg

Pouring some saw gas on the tip might be a quik fix if you can get it to work in, though I bet the sap has been baked by the friction heat produced in the tip.

I did use oven cleaner once after milling a pine log to get some baked on gum off the bar, but I dont know if that would be healthy for the tip.

Timberwolf

You might try some pitch remover like you find in a woodworking shop. Comes in a spray can and is fairly cheap. Hardened stuff needs to sit for 20 minutes or so but fresh stuff would probably dissolve quicker. I'd be sure to regrease the roller tip after using this stuff.

I saw this same question raised on a milling site, and one guy swore up and down by lye. I bought some at farm and fleet, mixed it with water and let it soak over night, the chain in question was so funked up I was ready to throw it away. Came out all clean metal. I used about 12 oz of lye to 4.5 gallons of water. I I keep it in a 5 gal bucket with a tight lid. Hang the chain from a piece of wire so I dont have to stick my hand in there! Washed it off with clean water, spreayed it down with WD-40, oiled it up and wa perfect. Sorry no ideas on a quick clean up. JB

Greg,
If your bar tip is gumming up enough to stop the chain, you probably have the oiler turned down too low (or it's plugged enough to reduce oil flow). Rather than looking for a solution to clean the sap out of the tip, I'd be figuring out how to keep the sap out in the first place. I keep RPM's up and make sure the oiler is turned up for difficult cutting conditions.

Any number of solutions will cut the sap if things get gummed up. I keep Go-Jo in my truck for pine tree work, cuts sap easily and rinse water is not mandatory. a gas soaked small rag also works well for equipment.

You might want to try mixing your chain oil 50/50 with paint remover or gas. Just dont light any matches.
Gypo

Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol. Cheap and cuts pine sap fast. Grease your bar everyday. You can get the guns from your dealer or Sherrill.

Thats quite a username there stinky. It sounds like you may be a plumber of sorts.
This must be Dennis or Doug or MRYB.
John

Back