Rope Bridge Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostRedwood98

Reaction score
Would Sterling Tritech be a suitable rope for a rope bridge? I really like the feel of it and was wondering if more experienced climbers would be able to give me an answer.

At $4.28 per foot, that will be a damned expensive rope bridge. I am presuming that you are talking about a pedestrian bridge where the people walk across a single line and have "hand rail" on either side. If that's not what you had in mind, you need to let us know a bit more about your bridge.

Regarding Tritech rope:
  • The technora outer sheath is very well suited to the abrasion and cut resistance you would like to have in a rope bridge.
  • The Dyneema core will be very strong, and have very little stretch; this is also desirable.
  • I didn't find any diameter available except for 11mm, which I would consider a "do not use" thickness. That is a bit tiny to walk on, and if we are talking about the two "hand rails" of the conventional 3-rope bridge, that is a bit small for almost anyone to hang on to if their feet slip off.
  • As a safety lead for attaching to a rolling attachment to an overhead line, it would be perfectly suited for that.
If I were building a rope bridge, for my weight-bearing rope I'd go with a very thick rope that will never get slick and will have a high strength rating while being rather inexpensive. 3-strand polyester rope comes to mind. It is cheap and strong, as well as being more resistant to fraying that braided ropes. Any cross-ties will be super easy to splice through the 3-strand, also.
I'd recommend 1" thick rope similar to this very highly rated rigging line:
Three strand is very easy to splice reliably, and this will improve the strength of any attachments and inspection as well.

I'd go with a pretty hefty rope for the hand rails too, but not a full 1".

At $4.28 per foot, that will be a damned expensive rope bridge. I am presuming that you are talking about a pedestrian bridge where the people walk across a single line and have "hand rail" on either side. If that's not what you had in mind, you need to let us know a bit more about your bridge.

Regarding Tritech rope:
  • The technora outer sheath is very well suited to the abrasion and cut resistance you would like to have in a rope bridge.
  • The Dyneema core will be very strong, and have very little stretch; this is also desirable.
  • I didn't find any diameter available except for 11mm, which I would consider a "do not use" thickness. That is a bit tiny to walk on, and if we are talking about the two "hand rails" of the conventional 3-rope bridge, that is a bit small for almost anyone to hang on to if their feet slip off.
  • As a safety lead for attaching to a rolling attachment to an overhead line, it would be perfectly suited for that.
If I were building a rope bridge, for my weight-bearing rope I'd go with a very thick rope that will never get slick and will have a high strength rating while being rather inexpensive. 3-strand polyester rope comes to mind. It is cheap and strong, as well as being more resistant to fraying that braided ropes. Any cross-ties will be super easy to splice through the 3-strand, also.
I'd recommend 1" thick rope similar to this very highly rated rigging line:
Three strand is very easy to splice reliably, and this will improve the strength of any attachments and inspection as well.

I'd go with a pretty hefty rope for the hand rails too, but not a full 1".

I think he's asking about a rope bridge on a saddle, not to walk across

Ok! That's a pretty hilarious mistake on my part, eh?

door forget GIF

With that new perspective, I'd have some reservations. That rope is rated for life support, but I don't know how well a three layer rope would hold a knot. I'm pretty sure it is impossible to splice. Sherrill sells 1 foot sections with two stiched eyes. 1 foot long might be a bit long.

https://sherrilltree.com/sterling-tritech-11mm-per-foot/

door forget GIF

With that new perspective, I'd have some reservations. That rope is rated for life support, but I don't know how well a three layer rope would hold a knot. I'm pretty sure it is impossible to splice. Sherrill sells 1 foot sections with two stiched eyes. 1 foot long might be a bit long.

Tritech knots fine, it's a little stiff but holds knots once they are set from my limited experience with it

I still stand by 16 strand being the end all be all tho

I prefer double braid for most situations, or 12-strand of most any kind, due to the ease of splicing it.

16 strand handles nicely, but that can be a bit variable according to how tightly it is wound.
I was speaking specifically for bridge rope, 16 strand is best, holds up way longer than anything else ive tried
for other rope I run 3,12,16,24, and 48 strand, hollow, solid, double braid and kernmantle

door forget GIF

You're good haha thank you!

door forget GIF

😂 I only looked at this thread because I wanted to see if the bridge was finished.

Yeah. Dyneema can't be beat for some things, but it's a very limited rope in many ways.

My understanding is that it is the best thing possible for towing ocean liners or lowering deep sea drones or diving bells. Strong as steel and floats!

So little stretch that a rope 1/2 as strong will take a greater shock load before breaking, though.

Back