Rotary chain sharper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderman85

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do these work ok. I have been thinking about getting one but haven't yet. I mostly just hand file but I look at the oergon one every time im in the store.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241027_193751_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20241027_193751_Samsung Internet.jpg
    685.5 KB
There are some who will be able to do a good job on a chain with a device like that, but it is also possible to make a mess of a chain in a hurry as has been mentioned. If you don't mind wrecking a chain, or at least grinding away a lot of the tooth getting the hang of it, it could be a good learning experience.

I sometimes find it necessary to touch up a tooth or two with the stone from that type of grinder when filing as I've found some cutters that seem to get a case hardening effect from use.

Mark

Consistency is the name of the game when sharpening or touching up ANY loop and why I prefer an indexable grinder where the loop is secured in a vise arrangement off the saw and the machine holds a consistent grind depth, tooth profile and raker height on EVERY cutter on the entire loop which is almost impossible with hand filing because of the human factor. Humans wiggle, machines don't usually.

Why machine tools were developed initially. Machines provide consistent and repeatable accuracy that hand dressing can never duplicate.

I would never purchase a hand held sharpening machine like that, no matter what the price point was because of the human wiggle factor.

Of course the built in rigidity of any grinder is paramount so the cheap plastic grinders like the Harbor Freight one, flex under pressure whereas a metal one with aluminum die castings don't, plus the grind angles and depth settings are accurately repeatable.

Cutting loops are all about consistent accuracy to provide a straight and aggressive cut and it's almost impossible to achieve that with the human wiggle factor included. Why, when I'm cutting wood, I always carry an extra sharpened loop with me, just in case I somehow fock up the one on the saw.

Dad used one of those for years, a Dremel I think. He could flat out sharpen a chain with that thing. I own one but rarely use it unless I hit metal or a rock and really booger up a chain. 99 percent of the time I hand file.

Whatever trips your trigger or your dad's for that matter. I have one of the Dremel tools as well but I don't use it for sharpening chains, I use it for deburring in the machine shop I own. Being a machine shop owner operator, I appreciate consistent and repeatable accuracy on a machine tool or rigid (not hand held) chain grinder can produce.

Actually, my 'Dremel' if you want to call it that is an air operated pencil grinder. Same principle, better rpm and easier to operate because the bulk of the tool is much less.

Back