Ryobi 3716 Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hgoodwiniii

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, everyone - I am new to the forum. Thanks for having me. I am having trouble with my Ryobi 3716 chainsaw. It was running fine and all of a sudden it stopped and would not crank back. I noticed the primer bubble was busted and changed it. It would not crank afterwards and I noticed that fuel was not flowing through the carb. I changed the fuel lines and still had trouble getting it to start. I finally got it to crank and now it is running really bad. It has white smoke coming from the muffler. When I give it throttle it shuts down. I'm attaching a video show what it is doing. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1826[1].MOV
    25.6 MB
To me, white smoke indicates the presence of bar and chain oil in the fuel. Didn't you by any chance pour the B&C oil into the fuel tank? Or didn't you mix up the fuel/oil lines?

Thanks for the feedback.

Well, on the fuel, it came out of the same jug I been using in the chainsaw and my weedeater so I don't think so on.

The only lines, I messed with were the fuel lines. I changed one going into the tank with the fuel filter on it to the right side of the carb and then one that connects to the primer bulb to the left side of the carb. Would either of those be an oil line?

What was it doing when it "stopped"? Just idling or cutting at full power? Did it gradually slow down and stop or stop suddenly with strange sounds?
A broken primer bulb won't affect the running of the engine, there are check valves to prevent this and ensure that fuel only moves in one direction. Did you get the lines hooked up right? Short nipple on the bulb is the suck one and it should go to the carb. Fuel gets sucked out of the carb and dumped back into the tank.
Please stop saying "crank" when you mean "start". Cranking an engine just means you are turning it over and doesn't always result in starting or even firing.

It was cutting at full power. I don't recall it making any strange sounds when it "stopped". I mentioned the broker primer bulb because it was not broken just before the engine failed to start anymore after it "stopped" and I started having trouble. I have the short nipple on the primer bulb going to the left side of the carb. The long one going down into the fuel tank. I will go back and check them.

Thanks for the feedback.

Well, on the fuel, it came out of the same jug I been using in the chainsaw and my weedeater so I don't think so on.

The only lines, I messed with were the fuel lines. I changed one going into the tank with the fuel filter on it to the right side of the carb and then one that connects to the primer bulb to the left side of the carb. Would either of those be an oil line?

From your description, it seems that you have connected everything correctly. It would be very difficult to connect the oil lines instead of the fuel lines, because they are routed at the bottom.

As a precaution, I would pour all the fluids out of the saw and pour fresh mixture into the tank with a larger cap.

In what choke position is the saw running in the video? When the choke rod is fully extended?

BTW it looks like you have the brake on in the video. Can you release it?

Ok, I will do it; Thanks. The choke position was fully extended. The chainsaw shuts down immediately when in I put the choke in any other position. The brake can be released.

Back