Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimR

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
My JD X485 hour meter wrapped out at 1966 hours. Yesterday my new hour meter arrived from RS America. Mind you that this hour meter is internal to the dash that costs over $700 used. It was a pretty easy swap out soldering in the new hour meter. It was a tight fit getting the dash out and back in. The operation was a success and it works. I only had to unsolder and solder up four pins. I just looked up a new dash panel. JD wants over $1600.00 for a new one. The new oem clock was around $40.

Attachments

• 20240508_154836.jpg
    20240508_154836.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240508_154805.jpg
    20240508_154805.jpg
    1,000.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240509_080125_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240509_080125_Chrome.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 0
sean donato

sean donato

Chainsaws are like crack... just can't get enough.
. AS Supporting Member.
Name anything that’s cheap these days . There are tutorials on making your own kit with existing parts . The labor and sourcing of parts kind of makes it a wash in my opinion . Kinda like making a band saw from scratch it works but buying a Woodmiser and milling right away is a plus
I can't remember what I paid for that lug bolt kit, but I do remember pricing out getting brackets cut, and bent and sourcing all the hoses etc. The kit was cheaper by a long shot.
My JD X485 hour meter wrapped out at 1966 hours. Yesterday my new hour meter arrived from RS America. Mind you that this hour meter is internal to the dash that costs over $700. It was a pretty easy swap out soldering in the new hour meter. It was a tight fit getting the dash out and back in. The operation was a success and it works. I only had to unsolder and solder up four pins. I just looked up a new dash panel. JD wants over $1600.00 for a new one. The new oem clock was around $40.
What they want for dashes in tractors is crazy. When I bought my kubota the dash was all busted up. Can't remember what kubota wanted for the complete unit, but I got a nice dash minus the clear cover at a tractor Pic and pull fir $25.00 and ended up getting the cover from kubota for $70 something dollars. Between the two I was able to make one good working dash though.

OH_Varmntr

OH_Varmntr

Burner of stored sunlight
Reminds me of the guy that moved from Ontario to our neck of the woods and bought 100 acres of wooded land to retire. Dreams of being self sufficient and making his own home heating. That lasted all of 3 years.

Year 1: This is a lot of work.
Year 2: Yeah, I can do this.
Year 3: No, I can't.

He now calls us for firewood.

We have friends that found out the same the hard way. I have a habit of looking at the hands of people when I meet them. They tell a lot about someone.

bob kern

bob kern

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
We have friends that found out the same the hard way. I have a habit of looking at the hands of people when I meet them. They tell a lot about someone.
Ya I keep track of the inventory the cidiots gather up that first year so I can prepare to make an offer when reality hits.

sean donato

sean donato

Chainsaws are like crack... just can't get enough.
. AS Supporting Member.
Most people don't understand the dedication it takes to heat a house with fire wood. I've been heating with wood either as secondary or primary heat source since I was a kid. It's really a life style, doesn't matter if you're getting wood off your land or running around for it. Loads of work.

H-Ranch

H-Ranch

Is there an ECHO in here?
. AS Supporting Member.
My JD X485 hour meter wrapped out at 1966 hours. Yesterday my new hour meter arrived from RS America. Mind you that this hour meter is internal to the dash that costs over $700. It was a pretty easy swap out soldering in the new hour meter. It was a tight fit getting the dash out and back in. The operation was a success and it works. I only had to unsolder and solder up four pins. I just looked up a new dash panel. JD wants over $1600.00 for a new one. The new oem clock was around $40.
Nice work. I did similar for my furnace fan about a year and a half ago when the relay was faulty. Couldn't buy a new circuit board at any price and no one would dare to service it. So I searched and found the same relay NOS (actually an upgrade since the same part number was no longer available) and soldered it in. Since I only use the furnace for the fan, I wasn't real fond of buying a new furnace just to get an operational fan, no matter how efficient it was. 20221203_102652.jpg

GrizG

GrizG

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
This popped up locally... Stone Ridge, NY. Multiple people reported seeing this happening so I believe it is legit! I'd love to know which downstate borough they are from.... 😉

P.S. If anyone knows how to download a video from Nextdoor let me know... I'll grab the video of the snowblower in action.

SnowblowGrass.gif

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
TEST! my imgur hasn't been posting pics?
hadpztF.jpg

MustangMike
Almost 24 years ago ... Matt Jr got his first deer with a 30-06 (a nice 7 point Buck) and I harvested both a Buck and Doe with my M77 in 300 Win Mag (downloaded a bit).

We were still hunting out of the original cabin (12 X 20 with a 1/2 loft for sleeping), it was cramped! I pre-fabed it in my driveway and we built it in a WE. My Uncle Hank and my brother Matt were also with us, and we were still wearing Woolrich clothing! The way it was!

That was an original year Explorer that I purchased used (had a V-6 and a 5 speed) and was as reliable as a Swiss watch! My 10mm 044 (the only saw I owned at the time) is tied on top.

Attachments

• HuntingCabinYr2000-2.jpg
    HuntingCabinYr2000-2.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 1
  • HuntingCabinYr2000.jpg
    HuntingCabinYr2000.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Lionsfan

Lionsfan

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Most people don't understand the dedication it takes to heat a house with fire wood. I've been heating with wood either as secondary or primary heat source since I was a kid. It's really a life style, doesn't matter if you're getting wood off your land or running around for it. Loads of work.
That's a fact.