Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turns out the Bear I harvested was MUCH older than we thought. The Taxidermist guessed 3-4 years old, turns out she was 11.75 years old!

As shown in the charts, very few bear harvested are that old!
Nearly 12 years old and antlerless. A true trophy! ;)

JK. That stuff is really interesting though.

This daughter of mine...... Just walked in and said" come check this out dad"View attachment 1205751

Beautiful Snake!

Matt and I encountered a 6' long Black Racer when we were shooting Sporting Clays on Sunday. They are not afraid of you, nor do they act aggressively towards you. They also like to climb, which is interesting to watch.

Me: I love that new perfume honey!

Wife: that's nice but I think I'm gonna find one that smells like 2 cycle so you know what it's like sleeping with you sometimes.

Me: id probably just get excited and start feeling around for a pull rope!

Wife: watch out, you might find the chain!

My brain: warning ! danger ! Stop!

Me : ( ignoring brain) sounds like I need to find a better muffler!

Doctor: we won't know if the damage is permanent til the swelling goes down!
:innocent:
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/...7Kr2ct6kGrKae1WPznNYK5LwuaaNShV-ovm0_GhSUNWea

Headed to Denver in the morning for business

Won’t be back until the red eye on Sunday night

Sad, no firewood for me this weekend….
They don't have trees in Denver :laugh:.

Story alert, but it is true 👍.
Dad was at a skeet competition in the rockies, while at his hotel, a dog walked in.
Dad never found the owner and broughtit home to Michigan. That was the dog I had during most my childhood, "Rocky", an Irish setter.

I reset the chain and use the arch to get it all the way in . The winch and arch do a great job though when I do long drags . Side pulls are a little tricky since you’re loading all the force to one side of the arch . I usually use another tree to do side pulls . I can double stack larger on bottom smaller on top . When I’m really loading up (overload😆) I use the front end loader .
View attachment 1205746

This tree won’t be to difficult since I’ll be cutting into 4-6 ft sections because it’s so twisted
nice, I like it.

The boards will be from there . I’ll Mill some of the smaller portions into blanks for bowls . In my experience BW doesn’t crack like other hard woods
Do you turn? I've cut a lot of bowl/turning blanks out of my firewood for my Nephew. I've threatened to start turning myself, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Don’t have a lath . I use this and various other hand tools
View attachment 1205799
My memory's not great anymore. I vaguely remember you posting your dough bowls. And I believe I've asked, your hand aze is homemade from a leaf spring or lawnmower blade?

Attachments

• IMG_20221011_142757723_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221011_142757723_HDR.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221011_142817054_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221011_142817054_HDR.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
This may have some impact on a few of you regarding a zoning proposal put forth by the Carmel Town Council in Putnam County, NY.

The Carmel Town Council is considering a zoning master plan that includes heavy restrictions on fish and game clubs. The draft is not available online - you have to show up in person. Putnam Co. Fish & Game sent the following notice:

Public Hearing - Proposed Carmel Zoning Code Change Affecting Rod & Gun Clubs and ranges.
Wednesday, Sept. 18 at 7pm at Carmel Town Hall, 60McAlpin Avenue, Mahopac, NY.
Get there early! We need to pack town hall to prevent losing our ranges!
The Town of Carmel recently updated the draft zoning code. The proposed zoning code creates a category “rod and gun club” that would apply to PCFGA., Willow Wood, etc. Many of the rod and gun club restrictions are arbitrary, unreasonable and harmful.
Although the updated code says the rod and gun club provisions will apply to new clubs, it doesn’t explicitly exempt existing clubs. We want the Town Board to leave the current zoning alone or at least add the explicit exemption of existing clubs.
I was unable to attend as I'm feeling a bit under the weather. Any idea how it went?

Latest posts

Back