Shaky felling - critique?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Billy Bob, you might want to look at some of the 5.5" wedges, they work well for the small leaners. Other than that, the quarter cut works extremely well for those small one's. I use it all too often, and you can really reef on those wedges to get it to fall where you want it.

Ya never want to fell uphill unless there is no other choice... but I guess you learned that lesson the hard way. ;)

Glad to see its down and everything/everyone is okay.

It would have gone alright but I overlooked a few things. Mostly:

A come-along only has so much 'reach' and I was running it through a snatch block to double the pull. Thus I halved what little 'reach' there was.

I was trying to fall it basically 180 degrees from its lean.

I wouldn't be able to pull with the PU.

Other than a ...few...:( miscalculations....

Was outagain today. I think age is getting to me. Only made 3 1/2 hours befoe I 'hit the wall' again. At least I have 95percent of the brush gone and have all the branches off it. Just the main trunk to go. Gonna get a lot of good wood out of that. About 26" at the butt and doesn't taper hardly any for about 14'.

Dunno if I will go again tomorrow. Have to make a town run in the morning, unload what I do have...etc. I think my bod is ready for a 'down' day.

Harry K

Harry K

Last edited:
Did finish it up yesterday. Got a decent pile off it, estimate around a cord:

stack.jpg

In the back are the ricks from the other locust I collected this summer.

Back side of the pile:

backside.jpg

I'll end up with around 4 cord or a bit better total.

I took a 'down' day today. Just mowed the entire place and unloaded the PU. Need to get on the maul and wedges to get that stuff split.

Still waffling on falling that big Willow. If I wait a bit longer, maybe he will have the field worked and I can bag it for this year.

Harry K

Ya never want to fell uphill unless there is no other choice... but I guess you learned that lesson the hard way. ;)

Glad to see its down and everything/everyone is okay.

Please clarify why it's so bad to fell uphill. I have a sincere desire in understanding this concept.

Please clarify why it's so bad to fell uphill. I have a sincere desire in understanding this concept.

I am nowhere near being an experienced tree faller. Maybe someone has a better reason, But :censored: rolls down hill. When the tree falls and comes off the stump it is going to bounce and head downhill where you are standing. If that happens , you better :censored: and git ! That tree isnt scared of you and is looking to extoll some punishment for taking it off at the stump.

I've had my close calls and don't want to add this one to it.

Anybody have any other reason or a better one to add.

Back