Sharpener question for 3/8"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ning

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A while back I bought one of those 2-in-1 sharpeners and promptly lost it. I was about to buy another when I cleaned out my tool storage and found it... but I think it's not the right size for the chains I'm running now.

The sharpener says it's for 3/8", but it has 5/32" files - so I think that for low-profile chain?

This is the chain I'm running now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BR9ZZDYD

So far it's impressed me quite a bit and it just shreds my oak. I first bought that brand for my 14" saw and recently got this for my Echo CS 590. I think it's a full chisel.

Looking at the chain I'm pretty sure the 5/32" file will swim in it, but the package doesn't state a file size. Should I get 7/32"?

7/32" would be a 5.5mm file.
I don't think you can just replace the file with a larger one on those 2in1 guides... it may take the file but the geometry of how everything gels together will be different due to both the larger chain & the file diameter being different.
That said, you could possibly make it work with some appropriate tweeking

IF the chain is really 3/8 and you take a 7/32 or 5/32 (smaller diameter) file to it you’re gonna re-cut little c shaped notches in the chain and cause yourself a lot of extra work and have a not-very-sharp chain.

I agree that 5/32 would be for a lower profile chain… but I wouldn’t guess. If you don’t have a micrometer just use a file to measure your chain. Make sense ?

A while back I bought one of those 2-in-1 sharpeners and promptly lost it. I was about to buy another when I cleaned out my tool storage and found it... but I think it's not the right size for the chains I'm running now.

The sharpener says it's for 3/8", but it has 5/32" files - so I think that for low-profile chain?

This is the chain I'm running now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BR9ZZDYD

That's full chisel 3/8, with the safety bumpers , ICK!!! Might cut OK?

Needs a 7/32" or in Sthils case recommends 13/64" file

So far it's impressed me quite a bit and it just shreds my oak. I first bought that brand for my 14" saw and recently got this for my Echo CS 590. I think it's a full chisel.

Looking at the chain I'm pretty sure the 5/32" file will swim in it, but the package doesn't state a file size. Should I get 7/32"?

5/32" file is too small for regular 3/8 chain, it's for picco/lo pro 3/8 chains.

Have no idea what file what your sharpener was made for/came with? Is there a part # on the sharpener?

I've used file holders made for BIGGER chains with smaller files, but shim them with matchbook covers to make the file give proper hook on the cutters. For instance a holder for 7/32" files, shimmed to use 5/32" files, to sharpen 3/8 lo pro/picco chains

5/32" file is too small for regular 3/8 chain, it's for picco/lo pro 3/8 chains.

Have no idea what file what your sharpener was made for/came with? Is there a part # on the sharpener?

I've used file holders made for BIGGER chains with smaller files, but shim them with matchbook covers to make the file give proper hook on the cutters. For instance a holder for 7/32" files, shimmed to use 5/32" files, to sharpen 3/8 lo pro/picco chains
You’re absolutely right but no disrespect to OP, how is a guy asking these questions going to know how to file alongside a matchbook shim?

(BTW the matchbook shim for spark plug gapping/striker patch for cleaning it roadside was one of my dads favorite tricks on his triumph bonneville when I was a kid… even used it myself before)

I have used a 5/32" file on my 3/8" chain when I get down to about 1/4 tooth left

I have used a 5/32" file on my 3/8" chain when I get down to about 1/4 tooth left

I just run the gullet a little into the links, never weakened enough to break a chain.

You’re absolutely right but no disrespect to OP, how is a guy asking these questions going to know how to file alongside a matchbook shim?

(BTW the matchbook shim for spark plug gapping/striker patch for cleaning it roadside was one of my dads favorite tricks on his triumph bonneville when I was a kid… even used it myself before)

You put the shim/matchbook between the holder and the file, when you secure the file. This puts the "little" file in a position to correctly file the smaller chains using the large file holder.

You may have to experiment a bit filing on the first few cutters to get the shimming correct to get proper hook on the cutter. Any type of thin cardboard of desired thickness will work

I suppose you could make dedicated shims out of copper flashing......

Never did it on the 2 in 1 files, but works on the simple Oregon file holders designed for 7/32" files. I still use those holders when I'm not freehand filing. I can be "lazier" in my filing technique with the holder.......

I never used any holders, ~the first 10 years of filing chains (1970s). Even made the file handles from hardwood branches, just jamb the file tang into the pith. If you wanted to get fancy you could whittle them a bit.

1 oregon.png

The problem is that the guides that hold both the tooth file and the depth gage file is that the tooth file may be an incorrect distance from the top of the tooth. This puts the radius the file grinds into the tooth at the wrong place.

This incorrectness is then going to play into the height that the depth gage file files.

As someone mentioned earlier: geometry.

I just run the gullet a little into the links, never weakened enough to break a chain.

You put the shim/matchbook between the holder and the file, when you secure the file. This puts the "little" file in a position to correctly file the smaller chains using the large file holder.

You may have to experiment a bit filing on the first few cutters to get the shimming correct to get proper hook on the cutter. Any type of thin cardboard of desired thickness will work

I suppose you could make dedicated shims out of copper flashing......

Never did it on the 2 in 1 files, but works on the simple Oregon file holders designed for 7/32" files. I still use those holders when I'm not freehand filing. I can be "lazier" in my filing technique with the holder.......

I never used any holders, ~the first 10 years of filing chains (1970s). Even made the file handles from hardwood branches, just jamb the file tang into the pith. If you wanted to get fancy you could whittle them a bit.

View attachment 1205149
You’re missing my point dude. I know what a shim is. I’ve made them from everything from beer cans matchbooks pieces of hardwood whatever.

My point is your response even though correct isn’t going to be useful to OP

Back