["solved"] Should I buy it? 038 Magnum.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bludenz

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Seeking some advice. Someone, not so near me, is selling a Stihl 038 Magnum for $250 AUD (170usd). I could most likely negotiate and get it for 200 AUD (135usd).
However, the listing says that it would need it's crank (big end) bearings replaced. I can buy a oem crank case, with bearings and a case gasket for 90 aud (60usd) + shipping.

How big of a job is this? I understand that it would require new cylinder head gasket, possibly new piston rings and a new piston if it happens to be scored, essentially worst case scenario is a complete engine rebuild. The listing also states that it runs and starts fine. It is the powerhead only, so no bar and chain. Missing a little paint on both the clutch side cover, and the starter cover. No other damage visible.

Is this worth my time and money? I see saws like this (038 magnum) going for 400-500 usd on ebay.com.

Also, would an 038 magnum be happy with a 28 inch bar? Would be used on primarily softer woods, not completely softwood, but also not hardwood.

Thanks in advance,
B.

Get some pictures of the saw and P/C with exhaust off

If it needs big end bearings I'd be worried about condition of crank itself and P/C, and if they are OEM/could be reused. Not so sure how it "runs and starts fine" with bad bearings, usually the seals go when that happens.

With $200 into the saw and $90 more for case/bearings (condition of those) it's getting close to cost of a running saw, with other parts added in. Realize you will find other things that need replacing on a 30 year old saw, and you will spend time doing it correctly.

What are used running 038M selling for there, and OEM parts?

I've rebuilt 038 for myself but got the saws free. They were lean seize 038S that were complete and in good shape otherwise but needed wear parts/rubber/filters, converted them to 038M. 038 and 038S that need rebuilds are almost always cheaper/free than 038M. Most of the parts interchange, and free beat up ones are good to have for parts carcasses.

First one I found a NOS Mahle P/C for $150 USD and had ~ $300 USD into it with all the parts replaced (AV mounts, fuel filter/hose, carb kit, impulse line, oil filter/hose, gasket kit, clutch drum/bearing/rim, chain, air filter). Bar was in good enough shape to dress and true. Some of those parts were still functional, but either had wear or 35 years old (rubber/carb stuff), saved for spares.

038 will pull a 28" bar but it's happier with a 25". I run both 20 and 25" on mine in hardwoods depending on the size of the tree. You can cut some fairly large trees with a 25".

Hey, Thanks for your reply.

Might have to pass on this saw :( I haven't asked for an pictures and haven't even contacted the guy, but as you said there would be all of those little things that will add up quickly. I'd also have to pay for shipping, since I'm too busy to drive 3 hours either way 🙃.

Not only would I have to pay for the parts, but also a complete bar and chain. People don't sell these things used near me as there is absolutely no demand for these things here. Additionally, saws for repair, such as this one are also very rare to pop up for sale. Almost no one is selling any of the old series (saws starting with 0xx) either.

Aussie saws- even half wrecked ones, seem to go for good money compared to our side of the ditch.
The 038 Magnum can perhaps be best described as the precursor to the 044- neither of which are truly happy with a 28 inch bar as a main bar for full bar cutting- 24 inch would top it out for me- if you want/need 28" ability, look for an 066/660.
At around AUD $300 for a dubious at best old power head only, another what $200?? on bar and chains? I would be looking to drop $500 elsewhere on something perhaps more modern.

Aussie saws- even half wrecked ones, seem to go for good money compared to our side of the ditch.
The 038 Magnum can perhaps be best described as the precursor to the 044- neither of which are truly happy with a 28 inch bar as a main bar for full bar cutting- 24 inch would top it out for me- if you want/need 28" ability, look for an 066/660.
At around AUD $300 for a dubious at best old power head only, another what $200?? on bar and chains? I would be looking to drop $500 elsewhere on something perhaps more modern.
This sums up my thinking very well;
I'll try find something larger. There are a few auction houses which have a few 661c, and a few other saws up for grabs so I'll see if I can snag one of them soon :)

What we usually refer to as the big end bearing is the one on the connecting rod around the crank shaft.
Not replaceable with and typical shop tools. Have to replace the complete crankshaft with rod attached.
Ah, ok. In that case it would be just as expensive, considering that I would still have to split the cases, so complete new gaskets, new/used crank, etc... That might end up costing even more than just crankcase bearings...

038 mag is a diehard saw but from what you describe that particular unit has probably seen it’s last days. I run a 28” bar on mine with 33RSLF chain in softwood no problem. Not ported but not bone stock either. And it’s in very good condition mechanically speaking. Anyway as others have said your better off looking elsewhere for a “big” saw.

Thanks everyone for your responses, will not be buying it at this stage.

Any recommendations for a Stihl that can pull a 28inch bar comfortably? I can get a used Stihl Ms661 around here for ~1000aud (670usd). However, would prefer to not spend that much at this stage.

Think in the 80- 100cc range, so your 881 fits the bill nicely for wearing a 28 inch all the time and cutting green Gum (?).
066/660
at the outside a good condition old 056- preferably a Magnum one.

Or dont be one eyed and look at other makes and models- hell next thing you know you will be supporting the Wallabies! :p

Think in the 80- 100cc range, so your 881 fits the bill nicely for wearing a 28 inch all the time and cutting green Gum (?).
066/660

Or dont be one eyed and look at other makes and models- hell next thing you know you will be supporting the Wallabies! :p
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'd be cutting mostly gum and peppermint with the occasional other tree thrown in. I'll see what pops up around here. Might just have to accept the fact that I need to put some money forward :)

IIRC stihl recommends upto a 36 inch bar for a 661, is this correct? Would it be happy with a 32 if needed?

066/660

I'll concur with that. I've both a 066 and 056M, and a 064 that needs a little work but all OEM.

Ah, ok. In that case it would be just as expensive, considering that I would still have to split the cases, so complete new gaskets, new/used crank, etc... That might end up costing even more than just crankcase bearings...
If the big end bearing failed- pretty good odds bits of it went for a loop around the case- out through a transfer and hammered the top end as well- so you would be in for top and bottom to fix it.
It a $50 parts saw at best- one of the pitfalls of buying secondhand- there are people out there with busted saws, take them to the shop and get told its going to cost new saw price to fix, so they go away dejected and bang the wrecks on Marketplace.

Well, I think that this concludes this discussion...

I'll be on the lookout for hopefully, a 661, or an older 066/660. If anyone has one of these that needs a little work, please do PM me. I'll make a post in the wanted section later.

edit: also might be looking for a 441 or a 461... I've heard good things about those saws, they can also apparently pull a 25/28inch bar no problem.

Thanks again!

461- Bloody oath.
441- not so much. You know how every now and then a company will put out a lemon? 441 sneaks into that category.

The only ones likely to be able to sell you a saw from the classifieds in here are fellow Aussies and I think most of them that own big Stihls look after them, feed them lots of oil and maybe sawdust fines and keep them going for decades- or make epoxy repairs, paint them and shelve them.

Buy new- cry once- get over it and get it done.

Thanks for your insight once again. I'll see what I can get and for what money. Might have to trade in/sell my 261c as that one isn't used much.

Thanks for your insight once again. I'll see what I can get and for what money. Might have to trade in/sell my 261c as that one isn't used much.
Big Gums have branches- 261 is about ideal for docking them up for firewood. Hell I use a 200T to lop Gum branches into firewood.

Big Gums have branches- 261 is about ideal for docking them up for firewood. Hell I use a 200T to lop Gum branches into firewood.
I get your point. I'd rather have one chainsaw that has a 28/32" bar and chain, and a 20" bar and chain which I can swap onto, or off, the chainsaw when needed. My little ms261 with it's 16" bar and chain can't do all the work I need it to unfortunately. Might keep it though if I do come across a good deal for a 461/066/661etc...

Latest posts

Back