Should other forums be mentioned?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Dennis, you gotta do something about this Babcock dude. I think he's having a mid life crisis or something and could possibly use a career change. Anyway he tells me he wants to be a logger. Can you set him up with a job in the bush. May I suggest you put him with a crew that needs a bucker on the landing? He's got the saws as you know and is eager to learn.
Anyway here's a picture he has supplied with his resume, so do you best to look after Doug, ok?
John

Also, Dennis, there's gotta be some remote site up your way where they still use real spar trees and maybe single buck saws. Doug may want to be a real rigger, and I got some extra spurs......

How's about up the Bella Coola.

Hey Roger, judging by the last picture you posted, it is obvious that you have spun a bearing and are a few sticks short of a cord, however, keep up the good work and keep the big chips flyin'.
Jack Wedgewood

dont know who that is,in the second picture. but i do know condition.
this guy can do 6 rounds strait off the street.and if u dont think thats saying something,try to go three rds wide open sometime.:D

i can see why other forums would not want this forum mentioned. when you go from some of those sites to this one, why go back? this site has the most accurate information readily available. like i said before, even though many people do not post, they come here to gather information and apply to their own personal needs. besides,were else can you go and find lambert(no one else wants him)? marty

Tony,
You don't recognize Roger? Check out some of his previous posted pictures of what he does and his conditioning will come as no suprise. It's a good thing that most guys who are built like that happen to be good Joes otherwise there would be a lot of people in the hospital.

Canon G2

By the way, Rog. The pictures you took with the G2 came out real nice. I like the color balance on that camera a lot. I think you made an excellent choice with that one. Now git back ta werk so ya can get that D60!

Wow, looking at this post, one would think Clearwater Revival could be a big dissagreement, look out !!!!!!!! Dennis hotsaws and hotheads comming your way. Will the chain or the wit be sharper?
P.S. Should be some salvage logging in Arizona next year, thanks in part to the Mexican Spotted Owl!!!

Right on Marty,

This place is awesome compared to the other places and the entertainment is far and away the best. I come here everyday just for a laugh, on a good day I get to sh#t in someone's oatmeal too!:D

As for posting other forums, I can certainly understand the argument for it, as we are all here to help exchange info in one form or another. But because there is money involved it can not be that cut and dry. Darin obviously has a great stake in this and can't have people sending people elsewhere. Plus the sponsors have a stake in the game here. If Coke "sponsored" the super bowl do you think they might have a problem with the players wearing "posts" on their shirts that say "go check out Pepsi"?

Besides, if you REALLY,REALLY need to show someone another forum maybe a little email action might work. No rules against private communication amongst ourselves?

Newfie,
I think your Superbowl/Coke/Pepsi metaphor falls a little flat. The players get PAID to wear a sponsor's logo. If I choose to watch the SB on network TV, it's free because of advertising. If I wanted to watch Tyson fight, I'd have to pay up front.

Forums are sponsored so that people come and spend time to see advertising to visit the vendor to spend money so that the vendor pays the host for a banner to keep people coming to the site and the site remains free to participants and the cycle repeats.

If you decided to attend the Coke sponsored Super Bowl and wore Pepsi clothing from hat to undershorts, there is nothing that Coke can do about that.

How can the free flow of information cost? Its a business decision to not allow cross posting.

Tom

A lot of people came here through woodticks. They had a free flow of information and referral to other sites. Anybody been there lately?
I don't think this site has anything to worry about from other sites, but it's not my butt on the line here. I guess you'd say "that's the bottom line."
Long as you know the rules you can play the game. Any question on the rules, ask an ump. That's their job.
By the way, I think the loyalty on this forum is great...both loyalty to the site AND loyalty to the other posters.

Tom,

I know my analogy was't perfect, but the point is this place is free because of the sponsors Darin brings in to pay the bills. I would imagine the more people "hang around" here the better the hit numbers the more $$ Darin can get from new sponsors. If we are posting go check out this forum all the time then we are likely not spending time here as much as we might otherwise. I would imagine also that there is the issue involving sponsors losing business because we all went to check out the forum sponsored by Pepsi, that we found out about on the forum sponsored by coke. While we were away we bought the pepsi gear instead of the coke gear.

Regardless, the point is moot. It doesn't matter what any of us bring to the table here in terms of info etc., Darin's forum because he makes it free for us. Darin's forum because he assumes the financial risks for us, Darin gets to make the rules and change the rules and he has every right to make it that way. So we all need to respect that and play by the rules that he set down for us. But you know what is the best thing about this forum, we are all entitled to our own opinions. Have a good one.

I came to this site on accident and asked a simple question:

Hey guys this is what i need which saw should i get?

What i got was a bunch of honest opinions from people i trusted without even knowing them personally. I continue to read/post here because i have never looked anywhere else why? Because as far as i am conserned this site has the best, honest, down to earth trustworthy people online. How Darin did this I dont really care, this is the best site and I have no interest in any other site so this whole thread is moot. Kudos to you Darin.

If it aint broke dont fix it.

Wow..this thread has certainly taken off from the last time i was here...

I see Rbtree is starting to act normal again..time to up my medication...

As far as other forums go....I understand both sides of the argument...and both have their valid points...I, as a sponsor, have to stand on Darins side of the fence..I would prefer people stayed here....but on the same token, I belong and am active on other sites...I think we have the best forum around right here..and its obviously most peoples opinion...so i dont think there is a worry of people leaving for another site...Once again, Its Darins house, and his rules...

Well I'll throw my opinion in here too..whatever its worth. I have no problem with any of Darins rules I think he has been doing a great job. Where else can you find a place like this where your not constantly harrased by moderators? I'm sure you all can agree this is no tool shed forum. Though I havent been to any other site for a long time than this one. For me its the best place for saws I've even got a info on my trees too when needed.

I also found my way here by the "spam blast" as Tom Dunlap refers to it. I have a good idea who did it too ;) I dont mind at all though was worth while to check it out and very happy I did.

Well to sum it all up I like the site the way it is cant see any problem with it:D

Again, I can see both sites. If some have me listed as a reference for free I don't know about it. The only one I know about is www.millmasters.com.

I just feel like I got here for running a clean site, (other than this spiked supra deal that' s going on now) , I don't know what it is but people don't like rules. As for what Rotax said, if someone was looking for a part and asked where to find it. You can post away. If I feel like I should do some ground work on a subject that seems fishy (like a fake post) I will. I think this is free opinions that you can take advantage of. If you just put, go here www.jobblowssawshop.com. That sucks for all the sponsors on here. Robert is also right in the fact that all of you, made this site not me, I just put the rules together. When all of you make it fun more people come. This attracts more sponsors. But it all goes back to what I said before, I paid a lot of money to advertise arboristsite, and for someone to free load, I can't see why I should do it. Nobody, has had a real good arguement. The only one has been is, "internet is full of information, and you are doing us a disservice not allowing this." Well, yes and no. Do I really want to send someone to toolshed? It's like giving a guy a referal to go top trees. Oh well, gotta go for now. Busy, busy, busy.

Take care,

This forum is excellent but the rules need to be loostened up a tad. I just read them and they do seem a bit too strict.

Perhaps they should be modified so they prohibit the "promotion" of other websites or forums but if it helps the original poster answer their specific question than it should be allowed.

I guess I've violated the written rules may times. We often get posters that ask how to adjust their saw and I've suggested they download the .wav files in the saw tune section of Madsen's site. I guess that's a violation here since Madsen's is a dealer even though the link goes straight to sawtune.html?

I personally feel some broader discretion should be given when a link answers a specific question a poster might have.

dave,
That is why I didn't delete your post because it didn't really have anything to do with selling. It didn't link directly to a page that promoted sales.

Latest posts

Back